A little help for a begginer...

Tempus

Good evening and greetings from Greece.Im a new listener who's heard was attracted by the magic of jazz.I'd like your help cause im just in the beggining of this wonderfull journey.Who are the legengs of jazz that everyone should have heard?Who is,by your opinion,the very best jazz guitarist?what a begginer should know about jazz?Thank you for your time..Hope i didn't become tiring..:D

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
:wave: Hi Tempus, and welcome aboard MIMF :)

No, you didn't become tiring ... we welcome all questions here.
We have members who are knowledgeable about jazz, so I will leave the answering of your query to those best qualified.

We hope you will enjoy your journey in and around this great forum community. If you need help with anything just let us know.

methodistgirl

Welcome to the forum. If you need to know something about guitars,
I have this thread that you can look up. I'm one of the guitar players here.
judytooley:guitar:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hi Tempus,

You've found the right place and you've made the right choice about jazz, too;).

Your questions are kind of hard to answer because there are so many legends in this genre. I will try to name a few you should know about, IMO.

Pianists: Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, Chick Corea,
Saxophonists: John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Joshua Redman
Trumpeters: Miles Davis, Louis Armstrong, Arturo Sandoval
Vocalists: Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Michael Buble

These are only three in each category and from the top of my head.

As for jazz guitarists, I'm not really into that but will try to give some examples:

John McLaughlin, Pet Metheny, Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Al Di Meola and so on...

I don't know how deep into jazz you are but you should definately get to know some of the history and evolution of this genre. You can begin with this Wikipedia article. You can also go to this thread and this subforum.

So, maybe tell us something about yourself. Do you play any instruments?

P.S Kh or Rojo, maybe you can move this thread to the jazz subforum where, I think, it will fit better? Thanks:tiphat:

Last edited:

OLDUDE

Hi Tempus,
One of the Legends of guitar was of course Django Reinhardt, and a legendary band was "The Hot Club of France" in which he starred with equally Legendary jazz
violinest Stephane Grapelli,
You should make a point of listening to their music.

However so many individual stars, groups and bands have appeared to me over my 60+ years as a fan. Think of individuals such as Louis Armstrong, Bix Beiderbecke, Jelly Roll Morton, Art Tatum, Ben Webster, Bunny Berigan, Buck Clayton, Charlie Parker, Sidney Bechet, Dave Brubeck, Dizzy Gillespie, Gerry Mulligan.

And then the Big Bands; Goodman, Basie, Ellington, Kenton, Miller, Shaw, Dorsey.
How I envy you your journey of discovery, and long may you enjoy the wonderful music.

Cheers , John