Goya (and the exhibition in Berlin, 2005)

Frederik Magle

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Regulator
Right now there is a very exciting exhibition of paintings and drawings by Goya in Berlin: "Goya - Prophet of Modernism". It runs until the 3rd of October (2005).

I haven't visited the Berlin exhibition myself, and unfortunately I doubt I will have time until I have finished my work on "Cantabile" - then I'll see if there is any time left of the Goya exhibition. But if anyone has visited the exhibition please let us know your experience. Anyhow, I'm starting this thread as an invitation to general discussion about - and a small gallery of - the painter Francisco de Goya y Lucientes (1746-1828) and his works that has inpired so many artists and continue to do so to this day (not least).

Goya's famous paintings of "Maja" - clothed and nude (1799-1803):
goya-maja-clothed.jpg

goya-maja-nude.jpg

Perhaps Goya is providing inspiration for many modern artists with his powerful, sometimes grotesque, dark, and violent images... His art is truly timeless:

"Witches in the Air" (1797-98):
goya-witches.jpg

"The Third of May, 1808: The Execution of the Defenders of Madrid" (1814):
goya-execution1808.jpg

"Saturn Devouring One of his Children" (1819-23)
goya-saturn.jpg

"Two monks" (1821-23):
goya-monks.jpg

...finally "Self-Portrait with Doctor Arrieta" (1820):
goya-self-arrieta.jpg

Let me hear your thoughts on Goya and his works

Jette

Rear Admiral of O Theatre & the 4 - 1 + a few more
I must admit I`m not that fond of Goya myself. Even though I think his work is amazing, but It`s just not my style. I prefer the use of bright colours ("skrappe farver", if not translated correctly, feel free to do so
wink.gif
) or/and a more simple style, not to naturalistic.Hmm it`s difficult to explain in english, don`t know all the words and I don`t have a dictionary
mad.gif
. Instead I`m fond of painters like Pablo Picasso (mostly 1925-) and 3 of the 4 (Axel Salto, vilhelm Lundstrøm and Svend Johansen). I`ll try to find some pictures.

Jette
smile.gif

Jette

Rear Admiral of O Theatre & the 4 - 1 + a few more
Hmm it doesn`t seem like anybody want`s to discuss Goya, so I`m gonna give it a shot, in hope of more joining
wink.gif
, even though I`m not that fond of his work (as I already mentioned).
The things I find most interesting about Goya, is his change of style/technique, that slowly started when he turned deaf in 1792. obviously it`s easy to see in the black paintings from his villa "The Quinta del sordo" and it makes me wonder if it`s the work of a man, who is bitter of his deteriorating health, I`m referring to the inscription on the painting "Self-portrait with doctor Arrieta" or if he had just gone mad (I don`t think it`s normal to paint directly onto the walls).
It`s also interesting to see how the war affected him and how he was able to capture it`s horror(Desastres de la Guerra), but I guess that was one of his talents, to paint things from everyday life, leaving out the insignificances, so it was more intense.
That`s all I can think of right now. Of course there is the mystery about "The nude Maja"/The duchess of Alba and how he got her to pose nude, but I`m not gonna comment on that one, so let`s just say he had a good imagination
tongue.gif

Jette
grin.gif