Reality T.V. the pros and cons

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Firstly let me state unequivocally: "I hate reality T.V.".

That said, I was totally hooked on Masterchef (Australia) for the following simple reason:

As the euphoria wanes after the final cook off and the winner was announced (no, I didn't agree with the final choice, but hey, it's ok really), the TV stations are wondering why this reality show was such a hit (one in five Australians watched the final episodes).

The answer, to me at least, is patently simple: unlike most programs in the reality TV genre, which wallow in goopey, muddy, shallow narcissism or indulge in nasty interplay and vacuous dialog; Masterchef celebrated passion and rewarded its contenstants for finesse, talent, vision and (obviously) skill. Big Brother, amusingly, only offers narcissism and nasty interplay. Go figure - people are sick of people being shits on national T.V. and I say "bravo, bring on the next series".

rojo

(Ret)
I wouldn't have thought that you would be able to find a pro for reality tv CT64; I guess you found the exception to the rule?

Well, if it was that popular, they will surely make more shows like this one, I would think.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Robin - yes - I did find the exception to the rule and delightful it was (mostly). There were moments when I thought "I hate that conceited little smart-arse (a certain contestant who will remain nameless, always worse white and was short (mmmmmm short man's syndrome I think)). But on the whole I really enjoyed it...

jhnbrbr

I hate things which are phoney on TV. Some time back, I heard Ben Elton making an interesting point about X-Factor. Do Simon Cowell, Dannii Minogue, and the other highly paid judges really sit through thousands and thousands and thousands of eager young hopefuls? Of course they don't. They have other people to do an initial screening and reduce the numbers to a manageable level. The interesting question is this - what instructions do they give to the people doing the intial screening. It must be something like this: "Send us all the good ones, but send us a few of the really bad ones as well, so we can use them for laughs"

greatcyber

I hate things which are phoney on TV. Some time back, I heard Ben Elton making an interesting point about X-Factor. Do Simon Cowell, Dannii Minogue, and the other highly paid judges really sit through thousands and thousands and thousands of eager young hopefuls? Of course they don't. They have other people to do an initial screening and reduce the numbers to a manageable level. The interesting question is this - what instructions do they give to the people doing the intial screening. It must be something like this: "Send us all the good ones, but send us a few of the really bad ones as well, so we can use them for laughs"

That's exactly what the producers do. They have a panel screen the hopefuls, record everything, look at the dailies for entertainment value, then have the applicant audition for the show's judges. Whether good or bad, if there is entertainment value, they get a shot.

I detest that the reality shows that are supposed to showcase talent but replace the talented contestants with those that are "popular" so I don't watch very many of these shows anymore. It's irksome.

methodistgirl

The reality shows I don't like are the ones made up to look real. Survivers
I can't stand and I have heard of people getting killed or getting sick and
dying because the temps outside were too hot to do such task. The
show Surviver had people in Guatamala where the temps are like that of
Phoenix with just as much humidity as you would get in Kentucky.
That makes 112 feel like 130. Weather like can make you sick and the
bugs down there are a lot bigger and the smallest spider is the tarantula
in that region. Or on Surviver the show has the contestants in the fridged
land of the North somewhere. Another show I really hate is Fear Factor.
I watched a poor lady on the show have to eat live spider and she was
very terrified of spiders. On one episode someone had their head down
in a fish tank full of blood. (I hope it didn't have AIDS!) Stuff like that
on there. That is also one reason why I only have a computer instead
of a television.
judy tooley

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
So, if you only have a computer instead of a T.V., how come you are so well acquainted with the shows you detest? Not sure it makes sense to me, oh well.

methodistgirl

I had a television at one time until it quit playing. I used to watch
shows like that on it and I also find videos of these shows on you
tube which are reruns by now. I did find surviver on you tube where
the contestants were at the sight of Tikal one of the ancient ghost
towns of Guatamala where a Mayan tribe once lived. The temps there
can reach 112 degrees and the humidity can make it feel like 120.
Too unhealthy for anyone to be in those conditions. Just to win a
nice Ford SUV! I don't thank loosing your health is worth a nice
gas guzzler. I found Fear Factor on you tube as well and for real
some dude stuck his head in a fishing bowl full of blood which grossed
me out and another episode where the people had to eat live spiders.
One of the ladies were scared to death of spiders and spiders can be
dangerious as well as scorpians.
judy tooley

wljmrbill

Unfortunally many reality shows are far from reality for mosy of us and seemed to be scribed not off the cuff like real life is to me... Oh well.. makes some interesting viewing for awhile until you get discussted with them.. and switch the channel///LOL

marval

Masterchef is the only reality show I enjoy. Most reality shows seem to be made up of people who just want their five minutes of fame.