Is it posible to choose?????

Dorsetmike

Jazz guitarists, I like Joe Pass, Barney Kessel, Wes Montgomery, Django among others

Jazz Piano, Mel Powell, Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson, Ralph Sutton, Shearing and quite a few others

I could make similar lists for sax, trumpet, trombone and drums; but choose one above others? How does, or even should, one try?

Then again how about those that make mostly brilliant tracks mixed with occasional cr@p ones? Do you forgive the lapses or avoid them completely?

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Why would you want to choose just one?? They are all brilliant jazz musicians. I don't think I could pick one over another. And my list is very long, too. I guess I could say that I like one better than the other but that's not really the point.

As for the lapses, everyone is allowed to make mistakes. I haven't really come across a lot of lame performances/recordings yet (and I do listen to jazz very often). Those I remember, I think they add a certain charm to the art of playing. For the past few weeks I've been even trying to find some flaws in concert recordings I posess and well - there aren't many of them. I think that most of the audience is likely to forgive those little snags. Besides, it makes the performers look more... human, if you know what I mean.

If you've got any crappy recordings that are *worth recommending* - feel free to do so.

Last edited:

John Watt

I'm not suggesting these are mistake laden performances, and I'm not up there, but here are a lot of bands in an Ontario Canada band contest. You might find jazzy moments. You can vote too.
www.youdiscover.ca/user

It must be nice to have such a civilized and audiophonic sense of "jazz musicians" making mistakes. The biggest mistake I made, other than pulling over Marshall stacks accidentally, was jumping off a three foot stage onto the dance floor while playing guitar with my teeth. I felt something give when my feet hit the floor, chipping a little edge off one tooth, not noticeable now. That beat dancing or stepping sideways offstage, nothing that ever stopped me playing.

One of my favorite t.v. entertainment moments occurred on The Arsenio Hall Show, a late night talk show. Stevie Wonder was on, doing a tune and sitting on the couch, talking. And then Whitney Houston appeared. She sat with her back to Stevie and started talking about her hair, clothes, how beautiful everything about her was, her singing, her career, her sales, ignoring Stevie's mild entreaties. Stevie got up, walked over to his piano and began the riff to "Superstition". The audience started singing the song. Stevie waved Arsenio and Whitney over, and held the mike at Whitney. She waved it off. Arsenio tried some vocals, knowing the song. Stevie sang a bit, staring right at Whitney like he was prompting her, and Arsenio put the mike in her hand. She tried, but she didn't get into it, the song or doing her thing.

There are different kinds of musical mistakes. This is an interesting topic. I'd be willing to learn about other difficulties musicians have in other countries.

Last edited:

Vintage

If I had to choose just one for piano, it would be Erroll Garner. Art Tatum is amazing too, but I find Garner more relaxing for me. Oh, and I love Louis Prima & Harry James for Trumpet. Ok, I know that's not 'one', but still...

OLDUDE

For piano jazz dont miss Brubeck or Teddy Wilson and how about S. Getz and Paul Desmond on sax

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Clarinet - Benny Goodman,
Double Bass - Percy Heath, Ray Brown
Vibraphone - Milt Jackson, Lionel Hampton
Piano - Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson

Has anyone the Benny Goodman @ Carnegie set ? 2 x LP Vinyl a must for that era of Big Band Jazz + all the Goodman small group stuff.

Dorsetmike

The only Goodman LP I have is the London Date (Nov1969) which has an all british line up behind Goodman, inludes a couple of Lennon and McCartney numbers.

The Carnegie set is on last.fm with the exception of Shine and Honeysuckle Rose tracks

JHC

Mike,
Were you around when Ted Heath was all the rage in the Jazz scene? and Johnny and Cleo, Humph even Acker Bilk who in concert played some good stuff, unfortunately his recording were a bit commercial now I’m getting into my stride here are a few more:
Chris Barber, Kenny Ball, Terry Lightfoot, Mick Mulligan, Sid Phillips do they bring back any memories?

Dorsetmike

Saw Ted Heath live 1954, also saw a later almost reincarnation of same band led by Don Lusher, never managed to catch the Dankworth's nor Humph, Acker Bilk yes saw him live (got an autographed LP) remember the others too except for Mick Mulligan. You could add Nat Gonella, saw him live too.

Acker did like his cider, often finished a set somewhat blasted. Also saw Dutch Swing College, but the concert that stays in my mind as the best ever was MJQ in Birmingham Town Hall, 1967

marval

Johnny and Cleo live just down the road from me, they have their own venue called The Stables. They are doing a young peoples introduction to jazz next month. I saw them live at the London Paladium, some years ago. It was a great evening, but sadly they don't do as much now since Johnny has been ill.

Margaret

JHC

Acker did like his cider, often finished a set somewhat blasted. Also saw Dutch Swing College, but the concert that stays in my mind as the best ever was MJQ in Birmingham Town Hall, 1967

I was in a support band at a Bilk concert and what caught me by surprise was the start, they all ambled onto the stage took up their positions and looked either half asleep or high on something then they broke into their sig tune (I can’t remember what it was) but the start was instantaneous with no visible lead in from Acker, all together, perfection. my favorite group is the MJQ, The Dutch Swing College were great. does the band still exist

Johnny and Cleo live just down the road from me, they have their own venue called The Stables. They are doing a young peoples introduction to jazz next month. I saw them live at the London Paladium, some years ago. It was a great evening, but sadly they don't do as much now since Johnny has been ill.

Margaret

I saw a program on TV that was shot at their Stables they are doing good work.

Dorsetmike

they broke into their sig tune (I can’t remember what it was)

I always thought his signature tune was Petite Fleur, although if you google Acker Bilk it usually mentions Stranger on the Shore which was his first big hit and thus always associated with him.

Dorsetmike

Just unearthed the Goodman London date Nov '69 LP I mentioned above, the line up as follows

Clarinet; BG
Saxes; Bob Burns, Roy Willox, Tommy Whittle, Frank Reidy & Don Honeywill
Trumpets; Kenny Baker, Bert Ezard, Tommy McQuator, Derek Healey
Trombones; Lad Busby, Johnny Marshall, Jackie Armstrong, Chris Smith
Piano Bill McGuffie, Bass; Lennie Judd, Drums; Ronnie Stephenson, Guitar; Judd Proctor

Octet; Clarinet; BG, Tenor Sax; Tommy Whittle, Trumpet Kenny Baker, Trombone; George Chisholm, Piano Bill McGuffie, Bass; Lennie Bush, Drums; ronnie Stephenson, Guitar; Judd Proctor.

Arrangements Wally Stott and Peter Knight.

Soon after this Goodman came back to UK formed a band and took it on tour of Europe, then repeated the exercise in the summer of 1970. I've not seen any reports of the line up for these tours, but wouldn't be surprised to find many of the same faces.

Some copies of the London date LP on Ebay UK at the moment.

JHC

My 2 record set is of the 1938 concert

Alto Sax Hymie Schertzer, Johnny Hodges
Sop Sax Johhny Hodges [he must have had a wide mouth]
Tenor Sax George Koenid, Babe Russin, Arthur Rollini, Lester Young,
Baritone Sax Harry Carney,
Trumpet Harry James, Ziggy Elman, Gordon Griffin, Cootie Williams, Buck Clayrton Piano Count Basie, Teddy Willson, Jess Stacy
Trombone Vernon Brown Red Ballard,
Vibes Lionel Hampton
Cornet Bobby Hacket,
Drums Gene Krupa
Guitar, Allan Reuss, Freddy Green
Bass Harry Goodman, Walter Page,
Vocals Martha Tilton
So many famous names, gee I feel so old :(