Mum Turns 80

greatcyber

Well, the surprise party for my mother's birthday went off (wish I could say without a hitch, but there were plenty of them). In the end, it was a success and my mother said that she had never had a surprise party before. Since her birthday isn't until the end of September, she never suspected anything.

Still working on the family tree and having fun with it. I found some old video tapes and digitized them, same for audio cassettes with my mother singing.

I just wanted to share one part of my mother's tribute; she always had a "thing" for Mame and even had me audition with her when I was just a kid. In the 80's she finally got to play Mame in a community theatre group in Florida. Mum always wanted to sing or act for a large audience. So, why not put her on YouTube? So, here she is: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjUNqd30qbY[/youtube]

When she was young, she had a beautiful colouratura voice. Her Ave Maria, Lord's Prayer and Mozart's Alleluja were favourites, and her fav was Gesu Bambino and she also enjoyed singing Panis Angelicus.

Happy Birthday to a special lady.
musik33.gif

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Stephen

Thanks for sharing the vid and the mp3 of your Mum. A beautiful voice for my favorite version of the 'Ave'. You have every right to be the proud son that you are.

wljmrbill

Thanks .. That was great and Mame is one of my favorite musicials. Wish her a Happy Birthday., Talented lady for sure.

marval

Thank you for sharing that with us, what a wonderful voice. I wish your Mum a very happy birthday when the day comes.

Margaret

greatcyber

Thank you Margaret. She was truly surprised and can't stop talking about it. Imagine, 80 and never had a surprise party. Well, at least we took care of that mistake and gave her one whopper of a surprise.

Here's another song from when she was in Mame:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhC_O7t-pBM[/YOUTUBE]

greatcyber

I have a few more that I am trying to pull out of the entire film t share and put online. One of her favourites was "If he walked into my life" and I will get that online soon. I realize that acting leaves a lot to be desired, but such is the case with community theatre. At least she got to realize her "dream" of playing Mame.

Of course, I have ALWAYS been extremely proud of her. Geez, when she was a few decades younger, he voice was incredible. I only wish I had a recording of her Una Vocce Poca Fa or Mozart's Alleluja. They were incredible!

I've included a few pics from when she was in Mame, and one that is rather recent...no more than a year ago.

If you click on the pics, you can see them close up and if you read what the critics said about her in the one hat says "faces" you will see how that "really made her day"!

Last edited: