PDA

View Full Version : Mike Oldfield's Songs of Distant Earth

Alex Tiuniaev
Aug-05-2005, 20:51
A really nice blend of new age, prog-rock and ambient. I bought it because I'd read a book by Arthur C Clarke which was Oldfield's inspiration and led to composing this album. The album is really great. For fans of Enigma and Peter Gabriel's Passion which I have already mentioned here.

jason
Aug-07-2005, 04:52
I never enjoyed reading until after I was done with school. I tried to get by any way possible without having to actually read a book (something I regret, by the way). One of the few books I did finish was Rendesvous With Rama by Clarke, and I was hooked on Clarke after that. Because of Oldfield's Clarke influence alone, I will be taking a moment either later this evening or tomorrow morning to attempt to hear some clips of some of his work. Thank you for directing me to his work, I can't wait to track it down and have a listen.

Alex Tiuniaev
Aug-07-2005, 21:50
Sure. By the way, if you enjoy SODE I'd also recommend two other Oldfield's albums, Voyager and Tubular Bells. The latter is the first new age album which even got a Grammy back in the 70s.

Gongchime
Sep-04-2005, 07:49
Tubular bells starts out nice but deteriorates as it tries to do something different.

Gongchime

Frederik.Sjölund
Sep-15-2005, 11:47
Songs of Distant Earth was actually the first album of Oldfield that i ever got. Personally i think its outstanding.

KBOC
Oct-16-2005, 07:42
Which Clark book was it inspired by?

Frederik Magle
Oct-17-2005, 22:21
I believe the Clarke book is named the same: Songs of distant earth (but I have never read it).

KBOC
Oct-18-2005, 02:16
Doh! I was wondering if it was Earthlight... (only book by Clark I ever read)

Alex Tiuniaev
Jan-09-2006, 22:28
I've read SODE, and I must say that I didn't like it. The Space Odyssey is much much more captivating. A must read.

Swaft
Jan-11-2006, 22:59
I liked the book and Mike Oldfield's SODE is awesome, great blending. I always been fascinated by his multi-instrumentalist skills. I mean, I play 3 instruments and I have little difficulties with 2 of them. He plays I don't know how many but it is a lot for sure and he seems to don't have any trouble at all. This is propably due to years of training but however he still suprises me.

Progworth
Apr-07-2006, 16:48
A really nice blend of new age, prog-rock and ambient. I bought it because I'd read a book by Arthur C Clarke which was Oldfield's inspiration and led to composing this album. The album is really great. For fans of Enigma and Peter Gabriel's Passion which I have already mentioned here.

Great album!:)

Naomi McFadyen
Apr-21-2006, 11:27
Love Mike Oldfield- Songs of Distant Earth is a great album :)
His music is great... I have most of his albums... Very talented... love tubular bells... the 3rd t.bells is awesome.... and his songwriting is great too... "Earth Moving" album is fab...