Anybody listen to hip hop?

Jette

Rear Admiral of O Theatre & the 4 - 1 + a few more
I have allways enjoyed listening to hip hop, well I enjoy listening to all kind of music
grin.gif
, anyhow I just wanted to know if anybody else listen to hip hop.
Some of my favorites are
Warren G/Sissel Kyrkjebø/Prince Igor: The Rapsody
Nas: I can
Coolio: Gangsta`s paradise
Lucas: Lucas with the lid off
The stop the violence movement(all the best united): Self destruction
But I also enjoy "the old school" as Run DMC, Public enemy and BDP, Unfortunately all on LP records and I don`t have a recordplayer
bawling.gif

Jette
banana.gif

sashdudelly

well, i listen to anything and everything. i don't really have a lot downloaded, but on the radio, hanging out with someone, yeah i wouldn't be like "EWWW".. hell, i'd probably sing along.
the only thing close to hip hop that i have on my comp is very few Eminem songs, only because i like what he's saying.

jason

I did briefly my first few years leading up to and a couple of years into highschool, now I pretty much can't stand it. No offense to you in any way intended.

Now I listen to everything except hip-hip, and country.

I do feel nostalgic from time to time and have fond memories with old friends of anything from NWA, Easy-E, DJ Quick, etc.

Jette

No offence taken
grin.gif
, it would be weird if we all listen to the same music. I like Eminem as well, hmm maybe it`s just because they play his songs so often, I get them into my head. I forgot all about NWA and Eazy-E (who unfortunately died of AIDS), I like them too
smile.gif

Jette
grin.gif

Btw I listen to everything too, except country. I remember when I lived in California, they would allways play a country song (in the disko) and everybody would dance some kind of linedance, that was fun, but also weird
banana.gif

Rune Vejby

Commodore of Water Music
I like hiphop too, as it is very focused on the lyrics... While classical music is my favourite instrumental music, hiphop is probably my favourite genre when it comes to spoken art...
I don't listen to it that much and I don't like the current trend of mixing R'n'B and hiphop together. Some years ago the lyrics were very much concentrated on the social, racial and political problems that people face, while now it is almost solely "shake your ass, girl" lyrics, if you know what I mean
wink.gif
So primitive....

Also I, in particular, like the hiphop beats which include a piano playing. The perfect example of this is 2pac - Changes where the piano section is quite complex, in contrast to 99% of all other hiphop tracks which just have a kickdrum, a snare and a bass... "Changes" is my all-time favourite hiphop-track
smile.gif

My favourite hiphop artist:

2pac
Mobb Deep
Kanye West
Clemens (danish rapper. Don't like his recent creations, though)
André 3000 (Outkast)

That's about it !!!
smile.gif

Jette

while now it is almost solely "shake your ass, girl" lyrics, if you know what I mean So primitive....
I know what you mean, I don`t like that either and unfortunately music videos are following the same trend
frown.gif
(I miss people like Michael Jackson, who made great quality videos,in my opinion). Hmm I have to check out 2pac Changes, I`m a sucker for beats with piano, violins or a beautiful voice like Sissel
grin.gif

Jette
grin.gif

sashdudelly

Btw I listen to everything too, except country. I remember when I lived in California, they would allways play a country song (in the disko) and everybody would dance some kind of linedance, that was fun, but also weird

yeah i haven't listened to country in a while. but when i did, i only did because my mom's boyfriend at the time liked it. i was really too young to have an opinion on it. but now, looking back, i'd rather not listen to some guy cryin' 'bout his dog dyin' and how he's an alcoholic, etc. etc..

Jette

He he
grin.gif
, yes there are some things you just can`t get used to like fx country. But it was kind of fun to learn the linedance, even though I was stepping on some toes and bumping into some people
nut.gif
banana.gif

Jette
grin.gif

Btw I just listen to 2pac Changes, I know that song, I had just forgotten all about it. Great song
up.gif

ApeXX

Banned
Sorry but Urban Hip-Hop is not my style. Rap is just made of catchy bass techno beats, with some "flava" added. A good friend of mine can actually play some hip-hop songs on his bass; and it is quite impressive! Everyone has a different musical taste, although I wouldn't consider rap "music."

Ah don't listen to me and my opinions...
smile.gif

Jette

It´s okay
grin.gif
, everybody is entitled to have an opinion and it would be kind of boring, if we all had the same
wink.gif

Jette
grin.gif

Schuldiner

well,i love it.but for the rhythm.I like the the electronic thythm with a particular lyrics,but not dirty.

Christine Callisen

Commodore of happiness and laughter
Hiphop...... actually I really don´t know if I like it or not. Hiphop is not played the places I go, so therefore it´s not a part of "my world". But I´m open to hear some - is there anything you can recommand?
laugh.gif

AM:PM

I was a teen when hip hop starting hitting mainstream radio- I have a reasonable collection of old school artists like Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five, Kurtis Blow, Warp Nine, Sugar Hill Gang and bands like Fatback that started incorporating a rap into their songs. From the current crop, I mainly listen to melodically inclined and less profane hip hop. A side kick that strikes my fancy is the hip-hop influenced rock thats showing up in places.

Jette

Schuldiner: I don´t like when the lyrics are dirty either, but I love the rhythm, the way the use samples, the scratching (unfortunally the don´t use it very often anymore) and of course
the rap, if the lyrics are good, if the lyrics are crap I just concentrate on the rhythm, when I´m listening
wink.gif
. One thing I love about Hip Hop also, is when the do human beatbox, I have always been very fascinated with that
cool.gif

Christine: I can recoment the ones I mentioned in the beginning of this thread
wink.gif

AM:pM: I remember the first Hip Hop group I ever listened to was The rock steady crew, with the song Hey you, but now I think they were probably more of a breaker group, than a Hip Hop group. Later I started listening to BDP, Public Enemy, Run DMC and so on, but Hip Hop have changed a lot since the beginning, some for the worse
crazy.gif
and some for the better
grin.gif

Jette
grin.gif

Thanks Frederik
cool.gif

fourtone87

I can't say that I listen to much rap/hip-hop anymore.

As someone mentioned earlier, I'm a sucker for rock influenced by hip-hop. I'm kinda embarrassed to mention this but Linkin Park is the band that eased me back into rock from rap. "Mash-Ups" are getting big over here in the States. Mash-up are basically rock songs that the DJ blends a 50 cent hit into it for example.

I'm also a sucker for the classics:

Run DMC
Old Puff Daddy stuff
2pac(Changes is my favorite
smile.gif
)

And some newer stuff like:

Kanye West
Outkast
N.E.R.D.

I'm sure I like a lot of other artists I just can't think of them right now.

AM:PM

Everyone has a different musical taste, although I wouldn't consider rap "music."

Interesting opinion
shake.gif

Is your statement mere disapproval of the genre or is it anchored in the generally accepted definition of the term music??? I feel the former applies here. Correct??
grin.gif
The mediocre formats contained therein notwithstanding! Rap/Hip Hop IS music.

BTW Jette/ Rune you should check out the nu jazz/hip hop act Impromp2. If you like 2Pac's Changes, Impromp2 maybe something you MAY like. Another hip hop off shot I enjoy, are jazzy interpretations of contemporary hiphop songs from ensembles like Streetwize (Sax player Kim Waters et al), albums like The Hidden Beach Recordings-Unwarpped Vol I,II&III that features artists like Jeff Lorber, violinist Karen Briggs and more).
grin.gif

ApeXX

Banned
Everyone has a different musical taste, although I wouldn't consider rap "music."

Interesting opinion
shake.gif

Is your statement mere disapproval of the genre or is it anchored in the generally accepted definition of the term music??? I feel the former applies here. Correct??
grin.gif
The mediocre formats contained therein notwithstanding! Rap/Hip Hop IS music.

BTW Jette/ Rune you should check out the nu jazz/hip hop act Impromp2. If you like 2Pac's Changes, Impromp2 maybe something you MAY like. Another hip hop off shot I enjoy, are jazzy interpretations of contemporary hiphop songs from ensembles like Streetwize (Sax player Kim Waters et al), albums like The Hidden Beach Recordings-Unwarpped Vol I,II&III that features artists like Jeff Lorber, violinist Karen Briggs and more).
grin.gif

Technically yes, it is music. But for me, music is something that I enjoy listening to. I dislike hip-hop, and do not enjoy listening to it the least bit. So in my opinion, hip-hop is not music.

thevibes

like rhapsodies....prince igor-warren g and sissel and coolio-gangster's paradise. if you listen to the words....Run DMC, outkast, nerd, tupac(my best ever)-broken wings....