• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Lefebure-Wely - wonderful music - all yours

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Wonderful collection ...
Just reading through these, #1 and #4 are the ones I'm going to work on first. I'm again playing for a Hymn Festival in September ... either one of these will work out splendidly for the prelude spot.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Hey Lars - he's one of my all time favourite organ composers, he just understood the instrument so wonderfully AND didn't have a problem writing pleasing music (go figure).

jhnbrbr

There was a time when he was rather despised for his outrageous Sortie's, but I get the feeling attitudes have changed and he's fully respectable again now. And there's no doubt he could write beautiful quieter stuff too, and he was NEVER boring.

dll927

Wasn't he the organist at St.-Sulpice at the time "the monster" was put in? I think he died just a few years later and left room for C-M W.

Apparently there was at least a minor bit of controversy over Widor getting the job. He was pretty young at the time, but had a couple of influential advocates.

It's sort of odd how composers seem to come and go in estimation. Supposedly, Franck was not highly regarded during his lifetime, but his reputation grew later. As for Widor, he wrote other compositions, but is now known almost exclusively for the organ "symphonies", which no less an authority than Marcel Dupre called "suites of pieces".

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
In my humble opinion, Widor's Symphonies, on the whole are tedious and boring ... there are odd movements that I adore (Pontifical March springs to mind). Vierne was far more interesting in my mind and, sadly his symphonies are rarely performed. As for Guilman - who ever hears the other three symphones, one of which is just stunning (number 1)?

rovikered

Wasn't he the organist at St.-Sulpice at the time "the monster" was put in? I think he died just a few years later and left room for C-M W.

Apparently there was at least a minor bit of controversy over Widor getting the job. He was pretty young at the time, but had a couple of influential advocates.
The story of Widor's appointment to Saint-Sulpice is curiously interesting.
Briefly it is that he was appointed Organist on a temporary basis. The appointment was never confirmed but he stayed on as Organist and remained so for the rest of his life. Technically, I suppose, he was the 'temporary' Organist for 64 years !!

dll927

Yes, I've been through that story a number of times. One version says that, since he was hired for a year, they just forgot about it when the year was up, since the organ was still sounding. Widor never got the "titulaire" title, but his "temporary" was a new meaning of the word.

As for his "symphonies", I agree that parts of them leave one wondering, and at least some of the first ones had actually already been composed as separate pieces before he came up with the "symphony" idea.

A fellow named John Near, who last I heard was a professor at a small Christian Science college in the midwest, did his doctoral on Widor's symphonies and did quite thorough research on the various versions of them. It seems Widor made numerous changes as time went on, but that's what professors live for -- to delve into everything that happened and see if they can produce a "definitive" version. And surely there will be another one later who will choose to "revise" Near's work.

I once had a history professor at San Jose State who had done his dissertation on the presidential election of 1908. That election is somewhat laughed at, since Teddy Roosevelt sort of hand-picked Taft to succeed him. But when you need a subject for a dissertation, all bets are off.

BTW, there was another professor in the history department at SJS, Jackson Turner Main, who was a grandson of Frederick Jackson Turner, of "no more frontier" fame.

jhnbrbr

I used to own an interesting little biography of Widor - until I made the mistake of lending it to someone! I seem to remember that Cavaille-Coll was not fond of Widor's style of playing at first, and took him to see Rossini in the hope that Rossini would set him straight, but Rossini thought Widor was fine as he was. Cavaille-Coll apparently took an active interest in the training of organists as well as the building of organs, worried that there weren't enough talented players to exploit his instruments to the full.

Going back to Lefebure-Weley, we can be sure that Franck held him in high regard as he dedicated the "Final" of the Six Pieces to him.

dll927

Well, L-W got a real romp dedicated to him. That is easily Franck's liveliest organ piece. You'd better know where the pedals are for that beginning preoration.