help me with jazz music please

LxxRyuzaki

Is there a jazz song with timbre, anticipation, a break or no break, clusters - notes close together, voice quality, book ins, rhythm, hook/chorus, verses, a medium, a trumbone solo, and is 3 minutes?

I want to find a jazz song, with some of what I mentioned above, in that jazz song?

Do you know of any jazz songs?

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
Try Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennett on the side of les hombres, or if you rather prefer the women stock Ms. Ella Fitzgerald, Ms. Billie Holiday or Ms. Dinah Washington.

If it all happens to be not how you kick, as for jazz, then go for Michael Buble´ or The Manhatten Transfer, verbally of course.

Dorsetmike

You left out Mel Tormé, Nat Cole, Joe Williams, to name a few I would never class Sinatra as a singer, he was an entertainer, a subtle difference. As for the ladies Cleo Laine has to be included, also Lena Horne, June Christy.

Most singers of Jazz also sing other genre, the exception possibly being the old blues men.

LxxRyuzaki

Is there a jazz song with timbre, anticipation, a break or no break, clusters - notes close together, voice quality, book ins, rhythm, hook/chorus, verses, a medium, a trumbone solo, and is 3 minutes?

are there any jazz song's you guy's or girl's would recommend, according to the above?

Dorsetmike

It might help if we knew what you wanted it for, is to be background to a film or slide show or to be performed by you or another?

When you say "song" that implies a vocal piece, which is why people have listed possible singers above; however you then mention a trombone which implies an instrumental piece, or maybe you want a vocal piece with a trombone solo between verses. Notes close together implies an up tempo piece. As for book ins, that's not a term I associate with any music, maybe somebody could enlighten me?

Does it need to be modern jazz, bebop, or traditional "New Orleans" style, all of these could contain what you seek.

Also I might add, repeating your question almost word for word is a bit pointless, (almost insulting) all of us can read.

LxxRyuzaki

sorry if I insulted everyone on the forum who read my thread, I did not mean to, the only reason is because my teacher in my jazz class, wasn't very specific when he critiqued music, and wanted current music to sound like certain jazz music, is there a lena horne song with a trumbone solo?

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_trombonists

Also, it wouldn't do any harm if you at least said hello as a brand new member to this forum.

Hi my dear fellow jazzfreaks :tiphat:

Here´s what wikipedia says on the question: What is a Jazz Standard (copied and paisted):

Jazz standard

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Jazz standards)
Jump to: navigation, search
Jazz standards Before 19201920s1930s1940s1950s and later Jazz standards are musical compositions which are widely known, performed, and recorded among jazz musicians as part of the jazz musical repertoire. There is no definitive list of jazz standards, and the list of songs deemed to be standards changes over time. Songs included in major fake book publications and jazz reference works offer a rough guide to which songs are considered standards.
Not all jazz standards were written by jazz composers. Many are originally Tin Pan Alleypopular songs, Broadwayshow tunes or songs from Hollywoodmusicals – the so-called Great American Songbook.[1] A commonly played song can only be considered a jazz standard if it is widely played among jazz musicians. Jazz standard repertoire has some overlap with blues and pop standards.
The most recorded jazz standard was W. C. Handy's "St. Louis Blues" for over 20 years from the 1930s onward, after which Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust" replaced it.[2] Today, the place is held by "Body and Soul" by Johnny Green.[3] The most recorded standard composed by a jazz musician is Thelonious Monk's "'Round Midnight".[4]

I hope this answer above will bring a closer definition, however not meant to be an insulting nor condescending answer, to the question.

Last edited:

intet_at_tabe

You left out Mel Tormé, Nat Cole, Joe Williams, to name a few I would never class Sinatra as a singer, he was an entertainer, a subtle difference. As for the ladies Cleo Laine has to be included, also Lena Horne, June Christy.

Most singers of Jazz also sing other genre, the exception possibly being the old blues men.

Dear Mike

Though I am grateful towards your suggestions on Mel Thorme, Nat King Cole, Joe Williams etc., I would definately identify Goood Old Blue Eyes as a jazz singer.

Of course, I do know what you mean, when you call Frank Sinatra an entertainer as well, which he definately was too with the Rat Pack in Vegas with his friends the african american Sammy Davis Jr. and the vino Dean Martin, not to mention the english actor Peter Lawford for instance. Frank also starred in several movies, where as one of the best of those movies IMHO was "From Here To Eternity" acting as the soldier Maggio.

But IMHO, Frank Sinatra evolved jazz singing to a higher level than before Frank Sinatra. You should also recall that his very first job as a singer was with the American night club owner Tommy Dorsey and his band the Tommy Dorsey Big Band.

Tommy Dorsey was at that time a high ranking jazz trombonist.

Just think of Frank´s enterpretation of the jazz songs "In the wee small hours of the morning" - "Fly me to the moon" - "Mack the knife" - or the very slow ballad "September".

As an American entertainer, he had no understudy. For instance his life long relations to the gossip pages on his relations to Mafia Godfather, Sam Giancarna needs no further introduction here.

Anyways, great to read your posts Mike.

Last edited:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Here´s what wikipedia says on the question: What is a Jazz Standard (copied and paisted):

Now, if my memory serves me well, I think we had a lively discussion about jazz standards in another thread, about a year ago. Do you remember, Intet? :grin:

intet_at_tabe

Now, if my memory serves me well, I think we had a lively discussion about jazz standards in another thread, about a year ago. Do you remember, Intet? :grin:

Absolutely, I am dead sure, Mat!!

In fact I recall this, and I did not call "The Girl From Ipanema" for a jazz standard, written and composed by Antonio Carlos Jobim, but then I do now believe it is.

Thank you Mat for reminding me.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Intet, exactly what I had on my mind. You da man!

OLDUDE

Phew, What a thread!
Some points I make rising adventitiously from it's course;
1. Frank Sinatra is my favourite male singer from what I call the "classic pop" genre He was so much more than just a crooner, and what an actor.
2. I have Lena Horne singing beautifully with Teddy Wilson, but I have no trombone accompanying ref. points.
3. How about that wonderful version of "Girl from Ipanema" by Stan Getz in his CD "Getz for Lovers"