languages

rojo

(Ret)
Hello people,

Just wondering, I`ve observed that this forum is based in Denmark. (duh.) So besides Danish, do people in Denmark speak other languages too? Here in Quebec most (but not all) of us speak english and french. Not sure that that`s the case in all the rest of Canada (hey, it`s a big country.)

Just curious.

Jette

Rear Admiral of O Theatre & the 4 - 1 + a few more
Hey Rojo
I`m not exactly sure what you mean, but here it goes
crazy.gif

Do we speak other languages in every day life : No not unless you originally are from another country, then of course you might do
We only have dialects, which in some cases sounds like a foreign language, yo are not able to understand what they are saying
blush.gif

Do we learn to speak other languages: Yes, we learn to speak english and german in school, when you are about 10 and 13 years old. In high school we usually learn either french or spanish

Hope you can use this
grin.gif

Jette
grin.gif

rojo

(Ret)
Well thanks for the quick feedback Jette, now I know. So you speak three or four languages then. I was simply curious. I would like someday to learn other languages besides the two I do know. The more, the better, I think.

Well, guess that`s it then. Anybody who wants to add anything is welcome!

Hey, how do you write/say hello in Danish?

Jette

how do you write/say hello in Danish?
Hej
grin.gif

So you speak three or four languages then.
Not all do, it depends on what education you have and some people from the older generation didn`t learn all those languages in school. Fx I speak English and German, but I can only speak a little Spanish
crazy.gif
(you forget it very easily, when you don`t use it
whistling2.gif
)

Jette
grin.gif

Lotus80

Commodore of Water Music
As Jette was saying, jsu because they teach the languages at school, doesn't mean, that you learn it. And by learning it, I mean you feel so comfortable using the language, that you can participate in discussions (just like in here!)

I've been taught Danish, English, German and French, but the languages I can communicate in are Danish, English and Swedish (at least spoken) because these are the languages I have been using for longer periods of time (than the odd holiday where all you need to say is: "2 beers, please"
wink.gif
)

Lotus80

rojo

(Ret)
Hej!

Well, another language we have in common is the universal language of music! What would we do without it, huh? Although I`m trying to figure out how a person could order 2 beers in music. Haha. Sorry, it`s late.

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
There might be several instances in music when two beers could be required...
wink.gif

Lotus80

Commodore of Water Music
*lol* I can just imagine you bringing your horn to a bar and start playing an order of 2 beer!!
grin.gif

Jette

Maybe not order to beers. But we all know the song "99 bottles of beer on the wall"
grin.gif

*lol* I can just imagine you bringing your horn to a bar and start playing an order of 2 beer!!

I wonder what that would sound like, especially when he is ordering number 7 or 8
nut.gif
wink.gif

Jette
grin.gif

Violinschlüssel

I don't know if this will be able to interest someone, but here in Italy we speak Italian (of course), German (in the area of the city of Bozen/Bolzano), French (near the French border), and Ladin.

jvhldb

I don't know if this will terest anyoune, but South Africa has 11 official languages (and nobody knows how many dialects), most citizens speak at least two (although most are tought 3 in grade school). Very few speak more than 4.

Violinschlüssel

I hope not to get too off-topic, but I'd like to ask you a question: regardless of the Country you live in, what foreign languages have you studied and what foreign languages can you speak? Just out of curiosity.
As far as I am concerned, I can speak Italian (mother tongue), English (I've got a degree in English Language and Literature), German (third language), some Finnish (few sentences and some loose words). Years ago, I also studied French (which I found too hard to learn, and that's pretty weird, given the fact that French is a Neo-Latin language as well as Italian), Dutch (I gave it up pretty soon, since I didn't like the way it sounded), Romanian (a lovely language, but I failed to practice it, and wound up to forget it), some Latin (okay, it's not a foreign language...). Oh, and, I can also read the Cyrillic alphabet (but this does not enable me to speak Russian, alas).
What about you?

Oneiros

I speak English and a tiny bit of Italian. I used to be much better, but haven't practised and now forgotten most of it. At least it helped when we went on a holiday to lovely Italia - your country is very beautiful, Violinschlüssel. :)

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Having studied Russian, German, Chinese, Swedish, and French, I can amble along passibly whenever I visit those places. Italian - a few sentences and some niceities. Latin, just enough to understand classical writings. I hope to study Greek soon so that I can have access to the Greek classical writings.

Sybarite

I'm afraid that the English are awful at other languages – it's partly because English is so widely spoken, but also (in my opinion) indicative of the island mentality and what I'll describe as 'Little Englander mentality' that exists here.

We don't teach languages well either.

I studied French for seven years and German for two at school, but was an absolute linguistic disaster zone. Personally, I don't think that my father's considered opinion that, since we were English we shouldn't have to learn any other langauges – especially German, 'cos we won the war, didn't help, as it implied that such things were not important.

In recent years, I have studied German and can read quite a bit and speak a little (though I don't get much practise and am not confident). When visiting Spain and France, I have managed to muddle through in boh those languages and, even in Amsterdam, where most of the residents speak immaculate English, I make the effort to speak a little Dutch. It always helps – indeed, when people discover that you're English and you're making an effort, it helps a lot!

methodistgirl

Via Con Dios-May God Bless!
America is also known for different languages such as spanish, english,
french, Italian, and even Hebrew. Brauch Ba Sham Adoni! Trans, Blessed
is he who comes in the name of the Lord. I just know a phrase or two
from each. I'm not that good at any of the languages from Sweden,
Finland, or Demark.
Judy tooley

toejamfootball

Via Con Dios-May God Bless!
America is also known for different languages such as spanish, english,
french, Italian, and even Hebrew. Brauch Ba Sham Adoni! Trans, Blessed
is he who comes in the name of the Lord. I just know a phrase or two
from each. I'm not that good at any of the languages from Sweden,
Finland, or Demark.
Judy tooley

lol, reminds me of Monsignor Martinez from King of the Hill, he is a priest that kills people, he says Via Con Dios before he does it. :p

Anyways I only speak American English...

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I took two years of German in high school as part of the requirements (then) for music majors. I would be totally lost in conversational German today, except for a couple words ... like Bach ... and ... Volkswagen :nut: :crazy:

As musicians though, we do tend to translate several languages fairly easily in the music scores we play, direct or just read.