• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Any Montreal Hobbyists Interested in a Midi Project?

greatcyber

Well, I think the time has come to start to modify and midify the Hammond I bought a year and a half ago. Before I try and locate a technician to do a lot of the work for me, I wanted to ask if there was anyone in the area who might enjoy helping with my project. Right now my intentions are to really get inside the guts of the organ and computerize and midify it. I want to be able to take advantage of the 2 octave pedalboard rather than just keep on playing with my other stand alone keyboards.

Or, if someone knows of a good technician with midi experience in the area, I would appreciate contact information. I don't know squat about midi, really, but I'm game... After all, that's why I bought the Hammond to begin with.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Stephen,

The Royal Canadian College of Organists, the Canadian equivalent of the US's AGO, might be of help in locating a technician.

I think you are going to enjoy this project. The learning experience will be quite fulfilling and I have a feeling that the end item will be worth all your efforts.

I do hope you will keep us posted on the progress of this project of yours.

greatcyber

Thanks for the tip, Krummhorn. I will certainly look into it. From what I have read on this and other VPO forums I agree that this will most likely be a very rewarding project. On the Miditzer forum they have an area called "Show Us Your Miditzer" and the pics range from beautiful cabinetry made for TVPOs with 3 or 4 manuals to rehabed old organs to a "dorm room model" that is simply a few speakers, a weathered bench and a laptop with a couple of keyboard connected to it.

Now that I have finally gotten round to spending more time with the programmes it is rewarding to have the different organ consoles actually doing what they are supposed to do. The new computer I had built just for music apps is great but last night I added a Miditzer 260SP for a 3 manual wurly and used it in conjunction with GSO and to load the TPO ranks took about a half hour. Maybe because it was the first time, I don't know. Hauptwerk loads an organ slowly the first time, too. But of course I will keep you all posted of my progress.

It's amazing the amount of forums dedicated to VPO and VTPO. So much reading...I think I need to get new glasses!

I still think this is the best site as far as diversity, though.