More Vista problems..Help please

Sylvie Pacey

:)Hi to all you technocrats, Having tried the Office trial supplied with Vista until it ran out, (Not impressed) I downloaded Open Office Org.( which by the way is brilliant and works well for me) BUT now when accessing stuff in OFFICE I find I cannot amend it or move it to another folder. Really annoying as a lot of my poetry is in there and I need to format it ready for printing. Can anyone tell me how to move the files and the folder to Open Office?:confused::confused::confused: I do hope it is possible, otherwise many hours of work lie ahead, just printing it off and then retyping it GRHHHH. :mad::mad:
Thanks from a very frustrated Sylvie.

greatcyber

Hi Sylvie,

Maybe this link will help. I don't have any experience with Open Office or Vista. I'm just now installing Windows 7 onto a test partition as I have heard it doesn't have all the Vista problems. Didn't you try partitioning your HD and installing XP onto the partition? If you do that, you won't have to mess about with vista at all.

http://www.rocketdownload.com/progr...t-multiple-word-documents-software-80936.html

Let us know how it progresses. If this isn't helpful I'll look into it further.

Sylvie Pacey

Vista help

Hi stephen, I don't know how to partition:eek: (Perhaps I'm getting too old for this!!!) Maybe you could guide me along the way. Had a look at your link and it looks as if I might be able to use the writer but don't want to buy it if I can't understand it. It says free download but at bottom of page it says the price, so I wonder if the free download is a trial. Thanks anyway for your prompt and helpful reply. Sylvie

greatcyber

OK Sylvie, let's see if we can't get this done for you.

Here is an overview of the way to partition your hard drive with vista installed: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMo-NnbQsGQ[/youtube]

Further, there is an application that is free for home use. You can download it here: http://www.easeus.com/download.htm

Hopefully, you have vista 32 bit installed as this edition is free. If so, download and install.Here is an overview of the partitioning process using this software: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTAvuGeLuUM[/youtube]

For an explanation of how to use the new partition as a dual boot machine, watch this: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIG0mBibTtc[/youtube]

Once you have reinstalled your xp, you would reinstall your applications and go back to working with them the way you used to. There are MANY more detailed videos on youtube, including 5 from this poster.

You can watch as many as you want until you feel comfortable enough to take the plunge.

Let me know how this works for you and once you have this working, we can address the open office part, unless you want to reinstall msoffice on the xp partition.

I'll check back. Good luck.:)

Sylvie Pacey

Thanks Stephen, I will study the you tube videos, maybe tomorrow and see if I can make sense of them . It doesn't look too difficult. Serif draw plus has a new application which should be good. I have ordered a 60day trial from them which can be used by three people, so it should be great if my daughter and I can use the same programme for our artwork. Also they tell me that it will solve a lot of my vista problems. WATCH THIS SPACE. Sylvie

greatcyber

I'll keep watching. You're correct, the partitioning is not difficult at all. Having a dual boot machine is very nice. One thing to remember however, there are so many problems with vista that were never really able to be fixed and that is why Windows 7 is out now. My tech has only heard good things about it and the people I know that are using it really like it. I have NEVER met anyone who could say they liked Vista. Someone always had one problem or another.

Good Luck!

Sylvie Pacey

Vista help

Hi Stephen, I have recieved the Serif software and it is great. I can import all my stuff in Vista office application, format and print it. HOORAY:):):)
Naturally, now I can do that my Epson printer is refusing to print anything in Black!! So am currently changing to colour for text and then reprinting it in black on my old H.P all-in-one. The graphics facility seems to work well too. Watch out Epson, here I come. (Except that the help facility for Epson doesn't explain much at all) I guess that is par for the course these days. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Sylvie

Strunch

A high ranking Microsoft employee that happens to be a friend of mine, adviced me to skip Vista, stick with XP, and wait for Windows 7. Enough said.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Vista has SP2 ready, I installed 24hrs ago, it has speeded things up considerably and I have gained approx 50-60GB on hard drive.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
My free space regained did not last overnight, down to 15GB saved this morning

greatcyber

I installed Windows 7 on a partition and I really like the way it works. I'm going to play with it for a while and if all my apps work ok then I will be dumping XP. 7 is much faster and easier on the eyes. It doesn't have all the problems that Vista had (has). So far, everything I have installed works like a charm, including the advanced audio control panel for the on board High Def chipset. Now I have dolby digital and true surround sound.

Glad things are working out well for you Sylvie. Lexmark makes a decent and cheap printer, too. I have an HP photo printer that I never use and don't even use my brother laser printer much either. I can't remember the last time I printed something out. But then, I'm not doing the types of work that you are. I work mainly on multimedia projects. But I'm pleased for you to be able to "do your thing" again.

Sylvie Pacey

More Vista problems, help please

Well Stephen, I am making good progress now using my software and having great fun with Serif Pro Plus. Doing a lot of experimental designing
which is quite fascinating. I shall stay with Vista now for a while, since I can use all my transferred files. :D:D
By the way, in case you haven't heard there is a new virus using "Hallmark" or "Postcard", very dangerous,DO NOT OPEN it can wipe all your hard drive apparently. :eek:So thought I'd pass the info to all M.I.M.F. Sylvie