• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Phoenix Organs - Review

Craig Edwards

Does anyone have any experience of Phoenix Organs, Based in Lancashire?

On behalf of a church in West Yorkshire, I recommended the purchase of a 3 manual organ from Phoenix to replace a much older instrument.
We were attracted because the price was competitive, the pre-contract discussions useful and the very fine demonstration instrument, in a church near Preston, Lancashire, UK had sounded well when we visited.
We had several problems. When the instrument eventually arrived (it took far longer to arrive than originally indicated) there were several major technical problems. Sounds would effectively come on or go off of their own volition and the speakers would often emit a loud bang when turned off. Both problems were eventually rectified - months later - but by the far the most frustrating and unacceptable element was the shocking level of post-installation service. David Bostock would simply not respond to our requests for help, by phone, e-mail, until finally a very formal letter, and we endured weeks of services where the instrument would effectively change its registrations at will. I suspect our experience was unusual - although I know of another high profile church nearby which also had outstanding issues and were witholding payment. The eventual sound was reasonable (less good than the demonstration instrument but because we were more limited in terms of where we could position the speakers). I subsequently gave a performance on a Makin, which had failed to impress in the acoustically weak showroom but which sounded more authentically like a pipe instrument in situ.
I would urge extreme caution if placing an order with Phoenix Organs of Fulwood, near Preston, Lancashire and would recommend that any propspective purchaser agree with the company that the full sum will become payable only after a period of several weeks has elapsed post-installation, in order to allow the company to deal with any problems.