Jacob Gade

rojo

(Ret)
Well gee, it`s a small world- There`s this song I`ve been playing for a while called Jalousie, by Jacob Gade. Just discovered he also is from Denmark!

Anybody out there know/like this song?
smile.gif

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
Tango Jalousie by Jacob Gade is in fact THE most played piece in the world today (or so it was. Of which the composer himself never got any of the royalties. All the royalties to the music have been the property of Edition Wilhelm Hansen, the publisher. Only recently has the Jacob Gade Scholarship receieved the the rights for this, on of the most famouse pieces of music in existence today.

Some background notes on Gade and his "Tzigane Tango" "Jalousie"
http://www.todotango.com/english/biblioteca/cronicas/jgade_creador_celos.asp

rojo

(Ret)
Thanks Corno, that`s a great site about Jacob Gade.

Jalousie is indeed a super tango/song. I find it works really well on the piano. I`m thinking the melody would also sound great on violin. Never heard it sung, but I think as they mention on the site, the piece was supposed to be instrumental. I think that it probably works/sounds best that way.

Thanks again!
smile.gif

Jette

Rear Admiral of O Theatre & the 4 - 1 + a few more
Yes I do like this song, very much indeed. But I actually didn`t knew that it was a danish guy who made it
blush.gif
. Now I know, thanks
up.gif

Jette
grin.gif

Yes Corno I know I`m a disgrace to the danish people
tongue.gif

rojo

(Ret)
Hej Lotus80,

Well gosh, I`m flabbergasted! How very cool. I`ve taught Alley Cat several times, in fact I even had a student play it in a concert. (It was well-received!) So thanks for both checking out my repertoire list, and for informing me about F. Bjorn. Very interesting. To think, I`ve been promoting Danish composers` works without even realising it!

In my defence, as a teacher, I don`t always get the time to delve into the background of pieces too much- I play it for the student, and if he or she likes it, I teach it to them. Guess that`s no excuse, but, well...
smile.gif

So, I guess after seeing my repertoire page, now you know what exactly what music I like. The list is still incomplete...
smile.gif