Tips and Wrinkles to beat the recession

Sylvie Pacey

Hello to all M.I.M.F members and a very Happy Christmas to you all.
Perhaps it might be nice to exchange money and labour saving tips on this site. I'll start off with a couple.....

1. Window sparkle with this. Use quite warm water with a squeeze of detergent and a dash of methylated spirit. When finished, don't throw the water away, It can be used to kill white and greenfly on your outdoor plants!!!:cool::cool::cool:
2. A really good stain remover if your pet has been sick on carpet. (If the stain has dried squeeze a little water over it to moisten) Sprinkle liberally with salt and leave for a couple of hours. Vacuum salt away and wipe with warm water with a little white vinegar. Magic. This even works on a very pale carpet.:):):)
3. When brushing dentures after soaking them use a little salt and bi-carbonate of soda. They feel great after that treatment.
Now let's hear some tips from you. Sylvie.

marval

Hello Sylvie and a very happy Christmas to you. This is a good idea.

If you have flowers in a vase, put either some lemonade or an aspirin in the water. This will help them last longer.

If you have a rusty knife, just rub it with an onion a few times. This will remove the discolouration.

Margaret

Last edited:

Sylvie Pacey

Thanks for that Margaret. It seems that the recession hasn't reached many M.I.M.F members yet. Thought we might have got lots of clever tips by now. another thing I do is to drain off the cold water lying in the hot supply pipe and use it for the garden in the summer and top up the cistern in the winter. In one year I saved enough money to buy a new microwave. Cheers. Sylvie

wljmrbill

using a fan to cirulate the heat..makes it warmer and saves on electric bill I have found.

Try to buy more food at one trip( and make a list ) and save gas with fewer trips to the store.

When you have cold or flu symtoms I find buring a euchalypus candle helps with breathing and clearing nazal passage. I like 100 % Grape juice better then orange jucie as it seems have more body building/ immune properties

jhnbrbr

Picking up on Bill's point about fewer trips to the store, I keep a "master list" of all regular purchases on the computer. Before going shopping, I print a copy and then go through it, ticking what is needed so I don't forget anything.

marval

Some more good tips, having a master list is a good idea John. I must try that, it hopefully will make me stick to the list.

Margaret