• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Tremulant speed & depth

Mathbob

I know this is largely a matter of taste, but what suggestions are there for depth and rate settings for trems - specifically for GrandOrgue, but really in general? I've seen rate settings in .organ files from as slow as 210 to as fast as 120, and depth from 12% to 40%. After playing around with them, I currently have mine set a 200/20 and they just don't sound "real." Any thoughts? [This is for a "church" organ, not a theatre organ.]

Bob

ggoode.sa

Hi Bob,
Classical organ tremulants seem to be quite varied, depending on the builder and the philosophy of the time... so this one is probably more 'personal taste' than anything else. When playing classical music I rarely use tremulants, even when playing 'real' pipe organs, so I have not invested much time in getting them sound 'right'.
In the Theatre Organ world there seems to be two camps of thought when it comes to tremulants in virtual instruments - a) those who prefer synchronized trems (then the use of Low Frequency Oscillation, LFO, is preferred - this is what GrandOrgue is using), b) those who prefer sampled trems. Your classical taste may be in category 'b' too ;)
GrahamG

dll927

As you may know, using trems all the time in church gets pretty wearing. Can you imagine playing Widor's Toccata with all the tremulants going?? Horrors!!!

Let's face it -- on pipe organs you take what you get - they usually aren't adjustable. And on anything much above soft strings or flutes they are usually avoided. Once in a while you run into a special tremulant for the Vox Humana, but other than that, there's not much choice.

You don't state what type of organ you are playing. But if you can set what you want, it must be electronic, and even there, that's unusual.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Quite agree with above regarding pipe trems. I have two on my church Möller, one in each division. The Swell trem is pretty much useless except when using the reed stop for solo. The Great trem I had adjusted to the max amplitude possible - the only stop I use the trem on the Great for is a beautiful 4' Gedeckt (metal) in the high registers.

. . . Can you imagine playing Widor's Toccata with all the tremulants going?? Horrors!!!

I was forced to do just that once for a wedding recessional ... on a Hammond, no less - couldn't turn the blinkin' vibs off ... :lol: It was ... horrible ... I washed my ears twice a day for a week after that episode. :nut: