Nielsen's Maskarade On DVD -Great Fun!

superhorn

I've just gotten the Da Capo DVD of Nielsen's wonderful comic opera Maskarade with the Royal Danish Opera conducted by Michael Schonwandt(don't know how to get the dash over the o on ) .
I got to know this delightful comic opera several years ago from the excellentDecca recording conducted by Ulf Schirmer with the Danish Radio orchestra, and now I'm glad to have had a chance to see it.
The production, by Caspar Bech Holten, switches the action of the opera from the 18th century to the present day, but it worls very well and does no damage to the opera,unlike so many ridiculously arbitrary and gimmicky Eurotrash productions of operas.
The whole cast is superb and every one seems to be having great fun.
Don't miss this DVD !

:) :D :cool: :grin:

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
It's a wonderful opera, know it well, though have never seen it staged (not surprising as I don't live in Denmark). I love the overture, especially, it's just so crafty and full of joy ... a good indication of what's about to happen. I also love the setting, in Copenhagen, it's magic.

Do you know his other opera, Saul og David? (Saul and David). It's as dark and gloomy as Maskerade isn't.

superhorn

Yes,I have the excelent Chandos recording of Saul and David conducted by Neeme Jarvi with the late Aage Haugland as King Saul.
It's the exact opposite of Maksarade; a powerful and tragic masterpiece.
This too deserves to be known better.