Your fav symphony, composed in the last 100 years?

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Hi - I'm not a huge fan of the current generation of modern composers, though in their defence, they do seem to use melody again (unlike the risible brothers from the 70s and 80s.

My absolute favourite symphlony composed after 1910 has to be Paul Hindemith's Symphony in E Flat. Each of the four movements is a jewell of finely crafted granite.

Montefalco

My favourite 20th century symphony would have to be Rautavaara's 6th. It was written late enough in his career to be a relatively beautiful piece of music, but still early enough to contain some more modern-sounding harmonies and melodies which all but disappear from his music written since 2000.
Also high on my list would be Erkki-Sven Tuur's 4th.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Gorecki 3, has been discussed here as the most boring piece of music ever composed. There seemed to be a concensus on that too, good to hear it has the odd protector!

Soubasse

Not technically a Symphony as such (since it's title is "Concerto"!) but certainly on a symphonic scale is Bartok's famous Concerto for Orchestra.

For me it succeeds on so many levels, not the least of which is its primary purpose, ie, to showcase an orchestra which it does in spades. Even a cursory analysis reveals that some of the harmonies are surprisingly conservative, it's just the rapid manner in which Bartok passes through them that makes it sound "modern." His clever evocation of Hungarian-style melodies is also a winner. Also marvellous is his use of form and his overall compositional technique (also surprisingly economic - but it's what he does with his small ideas and how he does it that make it work on the grand scale it has become).

Aside from the technical/analytical things, it's really quite an exciting listen. I feel like I've been on a long journey through exotic places after listening to it from start to finish.

Similarly - but with a VASTLY different landscape - is Messiaen's Turangalila Symphony, although I will concede that the listener probably needs to be in a Messiaen mood for that one!

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Matt - Turangalila is awe inspiring, for sure. I've got a Melbourne Symphony and a Sydney Symphony recording of it. Love them both for slightly different reasons. Same Ondes Martenot player in both recordings, oddly, some Frog woman from memory.

Montefalco

Hi David.
Maybe try Rautavaara's 7th symphony first. A lot more 'traditional' sounding.
I think Rautavaara's music would appeal to people who like Arvo Part, Magnus Lindberg and possibly Shostakovich.

Montefalco

Shostakovich is only similar to Rautavaara's early works, so you're probably better off with his late works. The early works can also be similar to early ballets such as 'the Firebird' by Stravinsky.

Last edited:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Not technically a Symphony as such (since it's title is "Concerto"!) but certainly on a symphonic scale is Bartok's famous Concerto for Orchestra.

Can I throw in Witold Lutosławski's Concerto for Orchestra, then? Marvellous piece of music, filled with Polish folklore. One of his works I can actually listen to with pleasure.

Also, Prokofiev's Classical Symphony. And Shostakovich's Chamber Symphony.

Dorsetmike

Having seen my posts elsewhere you will not be surprised to hear I have no favourite classical music from the last 100 years, be it symphony, suite, concerto, sonata or other composition.

Montefalco

Some more favourite symphonies (of mine) of modern times -
Messiaen Turagalila-Symphonie
Stravinsky Symphony of Psalms
Scriabin: Prometheus (Also quite widely recorded as his 5th symphony, although not formally so)
Bax 7

Art Rock

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
A few more (max one per composer):

1911 GLIERE - Symphony 3 in B minor "Ilya Muromets"
1913 BANTOCK - Hebridean symphony
1915 SIBELIUS - Symphony 5 in E flat major
1922 NIELSEN - Symphony 5
1922 BLISS - A colour symphony
1930 HANSON - Symphony 2 "Romantic"
1933 SCHMIDT - Symphony 4 in C major
1934 HINDEMITH - Mathis der Maler
1935 BAX - Symphony 6
1937 MOERAN - Symphony in G Minor
1941 SHOSTAKOVICH - Symphony 7 in C major "Leningrad"
1941 LEIFS - Saga symphony
1943 VAUGHAN WILLIAMS - Symphony No. 5 in D
1944 PROKOFIEV - Symphony 5 in B Flat major
1948 MESSIAEN - Turangalila symphony
1951 LILBURN - Symphony 2
1976 GORECKI - Symphony 3 "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs"
1980 SILVESTROV - Symphony 5
1982 HOVHANESS - Symphony 50 "Mount St. Helens"
1990 SALLINEN - Symphony 6 "From a New Zealand Diary"
1994 RAUTAVAARA - Symphony 7 "Angel of Light"

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Actually, mat, with regard the Classical Symphony of Prokofiev, it didn't set any new ground and it never intended to but it's one of the best examples of titled neon-classical music ever composed. A delight to listen to and a mongrel to play, extremely pianistic string writing that doesn't fall under the fingers at all well.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Hate Shostakovich, far too much down-trodden Russian Bolshevism in it for me. Would far rather listen to Moniuszko... did he compose symphonies?

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
No, not that I know of.

As far as symphonies are concerned, I've been looking for a recording of Krzysztof Mayer's composition - Symphony in D major in Mozartean style. In 1977 Poznań Philharmonic asked him to compose a piece for April Fools' Day. He decieded to write a symphony. The audience were told they were going to hear one of lesser known Mozart's symphony. No one was in the know of this hoax, except for the conductor. Funnily enough, a lot of people fell for it and were convinced it was an actual Mozart's composition they were hearing. Would love to hear it myself and see if the resemblance is that apparent.

Last edited: