EWQL - was: How did you find this forum in the first place?

Strunch

Hi Thomas,

Nice to see another user (to be) of EWQL (which I guess is a product by EastWestQuantumLeap?). Frederik Sjölund in here uses their Symphonic Orchestra Gold edition, and from his "dabbles" it seems to me to be a really nice sounding set of virtual instruments.
Is it the same you're getting, or something else entirely?
I have decided to start up with the Silver version of the same and see if I like it. I normally use FL Studio Producer Edition and I hope to find some of the same elements in EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Silver. If I do, then I'll buy the gold version later.

Rune Vejby

Commodore of Water Music
No doubt that EW is quality. The only problem is that its very expensive and takes up ALOT of space on your harddrive
smile.gif

Strunch

Expensive indeed. I have already spent c. 1500 DKK on the silver version (including VAT)..

It better be worth the $!
grin.gif

corno

Vice Admiral of Notes, Dots & at times also Slurs
Sr. Regulator
Yeah it's not the cheapest of libraries, but then again the soundquality is actually rather good from what I've heard so far.
As to it taking up a lot of harddisk space - well... if you're really serious and go for the Platinum with the Pro expansion then you can stop worrying about how much room there'll be left on your harddisks, and start to worry about how many computers you need to have to get the full package up and running (at your fingertips - ie. having all the instruments and articulations at the ready so you don't have to load the instruments whenever they are needed) - I've seen that 4-5 computers running a virtual orchestra "backbone" isn't uncommon. ;-)
EastWest/Soundsonline is having a sale at the moment on their website - www.soundsonline.com - so there's actually some nice deals - the goingrate for the Gold Edition has been around 8-9.000 DKK on aage.dk for some time - now they've also lowered their price, and, from what I know, will discontinue selling them because it's impossible to beat the online offers/prices at soundsonline. So now is actually the best time to get a hold of them.
smile.gif

[I've moved the thread away from the Community Center - into a more "on topic" forum]

Strunch

So now is actually the best time to get a hold of them.
smile.gif
Yes, I bought it from soundsonline.com alright, but according to the FedEX transfer status, it still haven't made it to the shores of Denmark. I wait with a little impatience and wonder if they're gonna make it by tomorrow as planned
crazy.gif

corno

Sr. Regulator
For all interested in hearing the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Library in action (and more) try: http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/ - look under "demos" - pieces made by users of these libraries... some of them, if not all, are completely awsome...
smile.gif

corno

Sr. Regulator
So... did it arrive on time? How long is the shipping time with Fedex?

Strunch

So... did it arrive on time? How long is the shipping time with Fedex?
Nope. Well, they didn't have a postal code to send it to, so FedEx had refused to pick up the package. Soundsonline have sent it with Priority now (according to a guy named Sam) so if he's right, then it should be here within a couple of days *sigh*

In frustration I added a marimba to a classical piece I'm working on (in FL Studio). There are different ways to let off steam I guess
smirk.gif

Edit:

To answer your question about the shipping time, it all depends on the distance of course. But I once got a DVD from Mexico in only three days. I think they can do it in two.

Strunch

It finally arrived today, with 66.6% commercials included.

The sound is great, but at this point I don't really like the GUI or the general (lack of) features. But before I say too much I must add that I still have lots of things to learn within the EWSO feature structure (I hope).

I'm a FL Studio man, and FL Studio has such a wide spectrum of features that it's hard to be satisfied with anything else. I hope I will grow on EWSO, because the sound is really nice when you apply the appropriate filters. Overall, the app is delicious, but I hope they have hidden some basic features well.

corno

Sr. Regulator
Great. 66.6% commercials? as in printed commercials in the package?

As to the GUI I think, as I haven't used it myself yet (thinking about ordering it one of these days), it should be compatible with the Native Instruments Kontakt 2 sampler - which is also possible to use in a VST host system (I think FL Studio is VST compatible?) - so that might give you some more options - that is if you buy the Kontakt 2 sampler.
smile.gif
- But then again you should also be able to use external/internal VST plugin/FX on it through FL Studio!?

How fast are they at shipping (do you get a track-and-trace FedEx no. when it's shipped)? I just don't see an ordertracking system on their webpage.

Congrats on your new sounds and good luck with them!
smile.gif

Strunch

Great. 66.6% commercials? as in printed commercials in the package?
No. I got three DVDs, and two of them are commercials/demos.
As to the GUI I think, as I haven't used it myself yet (thinking about ordering it one of these days), it should be compatible with the Native Instruments Kontakt 2 sampler - which is also possible to use in a VST host system (I think FL Studio is VST compatible?) - so that might give you some more options - that is if you buy the Kontakt 2 sampler.
smile.gif
- But then again you should also be able to use external/internal VST plugin/FX on it through FL Studio!?
Yes it is. You integrate it in a VST wrapper. I took a screenbump of how it works:

EWQL_in_action.jpg

And here's a small part of the piece I'm working on in that screendump:

http://www.progression-labs.com/music/vienna_nights.mp3

How fast are they at shipping (do you get a track-and-trace FedEx no. when it's shipped)? I just don't see an ordertracking system on their webpage.
They're quite fast (two days) as long as they don't mess up the order as they did with me, and you'll recieve a mail from FedEX with a link to the tracking data/route as soon as they have the data of the shipment. That's how I knew that it hadn't reached the shores of Denmark some days ago.
Congrats on your new sounds and good luck with them!
smile.gif
Thanks, Thomas! I have begun to love it already :)

corno

Sr. Regulator
Ok... I'll check it out later (both the sounds and your piece). Do you have any experience with other sequencers like Cubase? and how do they compare to FL Studio. I'm note sure I've found my ideal sequencer yet - this whole sequencing "world" is fairly new to me.

Strunch

My experience with Cubase SX or Reason is not worth speaking of. I like the FL Studio interface above both of the other two. Many people swear to Cubase tho.

Before you listen to the 20 second sample above, then I know I can improve the general sound quality with some tweaking in FL Studio: It is entirely based on EWSO features at this point (except for some external panning).

corno

Sr. Regulator
Ok... I guess it's just a matter of testing on my part.

Ok, I'll wait until you've gotten the tweaking done.
smile.gif

Rune Vejby

Commodore of Water Music
Indeed the EW software looks interesting, Thomas!

Just wanted to state my opinion regarding choice of sequencer. I believe that I have tried them all
wink.gif
.... When it comes to composing classical music there are some major disadvantages with Cubase. At the moment I am using Cubase SX 3 and there is no doubt that the interface is nice, easy and complex at the same time. It has alot of features that would suit most composers needs. The main problem, in my opinion, is the so called "key editor" i.e. where you alternate the key, velocity, lenght etc. of each note. The interface in this part of the program is extremely anoying! It's difficult to zoom and add filters and there is a generel lack of shortcuts in the program which can be quite anoying when you have to alternate over 100 notes! Also the sustain pedal function could really need some re-programming.
Reason, on the other hand, is perfect is this part of the composition-process. It is easy to use and the programming of notes is going smoothly!
The biggest disadvantage with Reason is definately the fact that it does not support VST (and similar) instruments. If it did so I would use nothing else!

So the way I am working at the moment is first to record the work into Cubase via my piano (through MIDI), then transfer the file to Reason to do the alternation of notes and finally move it back to Cubase to do the last brush-up and export.
That is my preferred way of doing it.

I have never really used Fruity Loops. I did try it some time ago but have been able to take it seriously (sorry, Thomas S.) as a sequencer. The whole fruit thing and the spooky interface just doesn't work for me
wink.gif
... But when you get into it I guess its a pretty good program....

Strunch

I have never really used Fruity Loops. I did try it some time ago but have been able to take it seriously (sorry, Thomas S.) as a sequencer. The whole fruit thing and the spooky interface just doesn't work for me
wink.gif
... But when you get into it I guess its a pretty good program....
The name Fruity Loops have scared a lot of people off, and that's part of the reason why it's not called that anymore. Today it's not just for loops, nor fruity, hehe. So the name is now; FL Studio. I have yet to meet a barrier in this sequencer, so I have found no reason to switch to another application. Besides, in the light of your post, I find no basis to exchange one complete program for two incomplete
grin.gif

Rune Vejby

Commodore of Water Music
Probably a good thing that they changed the name
wink.gif
..... Still, I would never switch to FL studio.....

corno

Sr. Regulator
Is that Propellerhead's "Reason"? What version?
When I last looked at it - about 5 years ago - I thought it more resembled a virtual effects rack where you could, amongst other things, play with the patching (by "turning" the rack around, looking at the back).
smile.gif
Didn't think of it as a sequencer as such, but then again, it's been awhile since I've tried it out - maybe the lastest version is somewhat different.
smile.gif

corno

Sr. Regulator
And to Thomas: when are you uploading a tweaked version?
smile.gif