PDF to MIDI anyone?

Dorsetmike

Anybody fancy a challenge? I'd like to get 1 or more of these pieces in MIDI format. Alternatively can anybody record one or more and post in the John Stanley 300th Anniversary thread? Originally written for flute or violin and continuo, they might work arranged for organ.

http://imslp.org/wiki/8_Solos,_Op.1_(Stanley,_John)

http://imslp.org/wiki/6_Solos,_Op.4_(Stanley,_John)

I've downloaded them but they appear to be photocopies of old editions, maybe even original. Might take me a while to enter into Finalé note by note!

Dorsetmike

Thought I'd try copying Op1/1 to Finalé, oops it's got figured bass! Looks like a session with the Dolmetsch on line music dictionary.

Any clues? Lots of 6's some with 4 or 5 under, some 8s, a 4 over 2 even a few #.

Dorsetmike

Getting somewhere ... ... I think!

The Stanley opus 1 sonata No 1 first movement, Adagio, all 26 bars of it; copied note by note from a murky copy into Finalé Songwriter, made an attempt at interpreting the figured bass.

Attached are 2 MP3s, the original being just flute and the bass line, the other being my attempt at sorting out the figured bass. Recordings made using GO3 and part of Blanchet Harpsichord set plus the flute set I put together.

I've included a Midi file, so anyone with notation software should be able to import it. Also included a jpg of the adagio I was working from, the figured bass notation has not copied all the well. I have the finalé .mus files fro the adagio and a PDF of the complete 8 sonatas of opus 1 if anybody wants them drop me a PM.
.stanop1-1adg.jpeg

View attachment stanop1-1adgorig.mp3

View attachment stanop1-1adg.mp3

View attachment stan1-1adg.mid

I would appreciate comments and feedback to suggest where it could be improved.

From the look of things the allegro which follows this movement has a lot more black on the pages - 16th and 32nd notes all over the place!

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hey Mike,

Your determination in figuring out the figured bass is laudable.

I gave a listen to the recordings you provided and both harpischord and flute sound really well. I think there are some mistakes[?], though. In the 5th bar of the bass line there is a half rest and a quarter rest instead of dotted half note "D" (which actually sounds like Db). At the beginning of the 18th bar there is a quarter rest and a quarter "A", not half note "A". Other than that, I think it's OK and a good start to make it more ornamental.