• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

How to: Flute with Harpsichord continuo in GO

Dorsetmike

This could open up a whole new field/can of worms. I wanted to try and produce some of the John Stanley sonatas for Flute and continuo, the scores are available on IMSLP, albeit photocopies of old manuscripts, somewhat faded and brownish yellow with age.

I found some instrument sample sets at Sonatina Symphonic orchestra

http://sso.mattiaswestlund.net/download.html

Downloaded these and started work on the flute and violin samples the flute sounds OK, the violin less so, the attack and decay are obviously keyed whih detracts from the overall effect. I also had a quick try at the bassoon, that seems to work OK as well, so at a guess wind instruments should work fine, strings less so.

The samples consist of 4 notes per octave over the instrument range (saves file space for download) thus it was necessary to do some pitch shifting for which I used Audacity; notes for flute were A, C, D# and F# in each octave so it was necessary to do 2 semitone shifts per note, so C down to B and up to C# and so on through each octave, 45 notes total eventually; Loops and release cues added in SampleLooper and Loop Auditioneer.

This is the result, a 45 note flute sample set that will play in GO.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13949432/FLUTE2.rar

Having now got a full flute set, I saved it in the same folder as the Blanchet 1720 Harpsichord set.

http://duphly.free.fr/en/blanchet.html

Copy the Luth sur 8'_II stop folder to a new folder "harpsichordsolo" along with the Flute folder

Next I copied one of the Blanchet .organ files to the same folder and renamed it blanchetsolo.organ (or call it what you like); to keep things simple I decided to use the upper manual for the flute/solo instrument and one stop for the harpsichord on the lower,

I edited the organ file to use just the Luth and flute; I could have retained all the Blanchet stops and the Pedale extension, but went for simplicity.

I've attached a text version of the .organ file (MIMF said the organ file was invalid, so make a copy of any organ file rename it blanchetsolo.organ, open it, select all, delete, then copy/paste the txt file and save it, think that should work

View attachment blanchetsol.txt

This set up works for me in GO 2 and 3

If you have a midi application which will output to midiyoke1 the following should play, flute is set up as channel 1, harpsichord as channel 2

View attachment stanop1-1min.mid

Last edited:

Dorsetmike

Bottom 3 notes of flute .wav files attached, as the previous files were not quite right, A an octave or so high, the other 2 missing release cues.

Delete the original 045-A, 046-A# and 047-B, replace with these three.

Attachments

• 047-B.wav
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 046-A#.wav
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • 045-A.wav
    1 MB · Views: 3

Dorsetmike

Having browsed the net for more information on the flute, I find that the modern concert flute range starts from middle C, so looks like I've drifted into Alto flute range which starts a bit lower; so far I've not found a reference to the range of the baroque period instruments. I have dropped the flute tuning to match the Blanchet harpsichord which is a semitone below concert, so if using the flute with an organ set you will need to either rename the flute files or offset the first playable note in the .organ file by a semitone, must admit I have not played about with that area.

I don't think I fancy attempting getting much away from equal temperament tuning though, life's too short!