• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

registration question from pianist turned organist

goodwill67

Hello All:

I hope it is OK for me to ask this question. I don't post here often but I suspect this is the best place to ask a question. My main training is as a pianist. I have studied organ but not as in depth as many on this forum. My knowledge of registration is not as solid as I would like it to be. I have recently accepted a position as an organist in a church that has been seeking to fill the position for some time without success. The organ is a 1930 Austin with 3 manuals. I was quite surprised to discover that this instrument has no mixtures or two foot stops. I have never encountered this before. My first concern upon realizing this was how I was going to create registrations of much color and variety. The instrument does have three very prominent reeds which include a trompette, a cornopean and a clarinet. There are also more strings than I recall in other organs I have played as well a more 16 foot stops than I have seen before. I have decided to launch into some serious research into registration which is something I feel I should be better versed in. In the mean time I wonder if someone could tell me if this absence of mixtures and 2 foot stops in perhaps typical of a particular type of instrument or time period. It strikes me as being on the Romantic side in some respects based on my presently limited knowledge. I also wonder if anyone can suggest a good book on the subject of registration. Any advice would be most welcome. I am sorry I am not better versed in this. Thank you so much.

wljmrbill

Interesting.. Personally I would not want to play one if there were no mixtures or 2' stops.. at least an nazard 2 2/3.. with all the strings does sound more romantic,, have to wiki/google it and see what they have to say..for me seems unusual or an uneducaterd organ committee...LOL ( aren't most of them )The reeds too will help to add color but maybe over bearding..not sure what else is there to work with... Good luck and congrates on your new position.

FinnViking

The best means to learn to register colourfully is to use your ears. Books and guides can give some guidelines on the old principles, but they don't work well everywhere. People often tell me after my recitals that they have never heard the organ sound like that, but there is no magic involved - I just choose the registrations that sound best to me! I recommend you do the same. Just take a lot of time to dig into the tonal resources of the organ. Don't waste time worrying about what the organ might lack, but try to find its best sides and the gems in its sound. And remember: perhaps the majority of the congregation never hears any other organs, so they don't know if there is something missing in the organ.

goodwill67

Thank you for this reply. I will certainly do my best with it and in the past have been able to use my ear to register but even using my ear to register is difficult in this case because there seems so little to actually experiment with that allows much variety in sound. I was practicing hymns on this instrument and I actually am considering playing the hymns an octave higher than written because of the extreme darkness and heaviness of the instrument with its lack of 2 foot stops and mixture. I have never encountered anything like this before. But it is what it is and, as you suggest, the congregation itself is certainly accustomed to their own instrument. I will give it my best effort. Thanks.

FinnViking

In the Netherlands for example it is usual to play the hymn melody (right hand) in octaves, so that it becomes clearer. In that way you won't lose the sturdy accompaniment which is the case if you play the whole thing an octave higher. Playing only the melody an octave higher would cause it to become thin.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
You might try using the Super Couplers ... Great to Great 4' for instance - this will double each stop drawn and make them sound an octave higher, adding brilliance to the registration. One can also employ 16' manual stops and then physically play an octave higher.

Do you have an opus number for this Austin ... perhaps some of us can look it up and find the specs for it and be of further help. Or if you can, include a stop list either in the post or as an attachment.

The organ I play every week at my church is a Möller II/9 and the only coupler is Sw to Gt 8'. Although I do have 2' stops and a III Mixture, I could use more foundation and solo stops. The organ does well for the building (seats 250 parishioners) even considering its non existent acoustics. I have the same building reverb as one would have in a fully carpet lined (walls, floor, ceiling) closet. The sound stops before I even lift my hands off the keys ... :rolleyes:.

Kh ♫

Kh ♫