• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

Alternative wedding music suggestions

Dorsetmike

I would think some church organists must be fed to the back teeth with the same old works every time, herewith a couple of suggestions from me, feel free to add more;

The first, Hollins' Maytime Gavotte, might be a bit light, but then it might appeal to some brides View attachment hollinsex57999.mp3

The second, Gigout's Grand Choer, is certainly a wake up call, especially with the Wimborne Minster Trompette en Chamade. (make a nice ringtone too)View attachment gigoutex58916.mp3

Maybe even better in this version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9iZ2N_wdgo

Dubois Toccata in place of Widor?

wljmrbill

TEDDDY: I do love the Grand Choeur Dialogue-Gigout.
As a rule I go with the Bride's request unless a conflict with church policy as far as music used. ( same for funerals) after all it is not a concert by me but a service for them. Many times I do get my own choices... I use most times: The Complete Classical Wedding Book for organ compiled by Mark Barnard; the Diane Bish -Wedding Book - service music for organ. This keeps me from having to carry a bunch of music with me.. with these two books most famous composers/compositions are represented ..I would not rate them as easy arrangements at all. Actually for me I use some of the same music for funerals and weddings ( alot the same...LOL ). I love the famous Adagio's ( Barber & Albinoni ) Toccata pour grand orgue - Belier.. for a few more choices. In my experience alot depends on the denomination of the Church involved. IMHO

Last edited:

pcnd5584

The second, Gigout's Grand Choer, is certainly a wake up call, especially with the Wimborne Minster Trompette en Chamade.

It is actually named 'Orchestral Trumpet' - although it is certainly horizontal.

Unfortunately, it does not like the present cold weather, so I tend to avoid using it in the first two or three months of the year.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Ahh, I remember well the Wimborne Orchestral Trumpet ... so did the lady in the gift shop ... :lol:. I had to try it ... just had to ... others milling about in the sanctuary didn't seem to mind, nor did the Sextant.

Some of the piece I do at weddings:
- Selections from Handel's Water Music Suite
- Jesu Joy of Mans' Desiring
- Wachet Auf ruft uns die Stimme
- Praeludium in C of Gordon Young
- Canon in D of Pachelbel ... the brides love it, but I don't love it as much as they do.
- Widor Toccata (as recessional)
- Grand Choeur Dialogue - Gigot

I generally steer couples away from the Wagner, mainly because I loathe that piece. I will play it if they insist, but only for the bride and not the entire wedding party.

At one wedding years ago, the groom was a professional baseball player - at the couple's request, I played Take Me Out to the Ballgame as a recessional.

Lars A.

pcnd5584

Ahh, I remember well the Wimborne Orchestral Trumpet ... so did the lady in the gift shop ... :lol:. I had to try it ... just had to ... others milling about in the sanctuary didn't seem to mind, nor did the Sextant. ...
Lars A.

Um.... that would be 'verger'. A sextant is an astronomical instrument used in navigation.

For the record, the Orchestral Trumpet faces west. Its effect in the Quire and Sanctuary is somewhat attenuated. However, anyone in the Nave would receive the full force of this powerful stop. One needs to bear in mind that there are a number of people who work in the Minster, often all day. They have to put up with many things. If the lady in the shop was trying to talk to a customer at the time (particularly if the customer was older or suffered from impaired hearing), large quantities of Orchestral Trumpet would make conversation virtually impossible.

Last edited:

pcnd5584

'Sexton' permissable?

Well - possibly. Although in the UK, I believe that this is understood to be one who digs graves - as opposed to looking after the insides of churches. The latter is, as far as I am aware, always referred to as a verger (or virger - occasional alternative spelling). Certainly in all the cathedrals and greater churches which I have visited, there are vergers - usually overseen by a head verger. I have only ever met one Sexton. He generally did nothing other than dig graves and keep the churchyard in reasonable repair.

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Um.... that would be 'verger' . . .

I know you believe that you understood what you think I meant, but I'm not sure that you realize that what I said is not what I meant ... :lol:

I meant 'verger' ... the word escaped me in that senior moment ... thanks, Sean, for the clarification though. :up:

pcnd5584

I know you believe that you understood what you think I meant, but I'm not sure that you realize that what I said is not what I meant ... :lol:

I meant 'verger' ... the word escaped me in that senior moment ... thanks, Sean, for the clarification though. :up:

Gah - this is beginning to sound a little like a certain story involving Lady Astor, Winston Churchill and some poisoned coffee....

(If you really want to know, I can post the story here.)

Leisesturm

Wow... people still get married in churches? I haven't played for a wedding since... ... 2005?? I've come across a few things since then that I would throw out as choices to a couple tying the knot in 2013. FWIW. Kevin Mayhew publishes a series called "The Complete Organist"? I had two (both?) volumes, now sadly lost in a flood. They are too expensive to replace. There is gold in them there volume's, alternative wedding music galore. A "Trumpet Tune" by Christopher Tambling comes to mind. Also a "Fanfare for a Princess(??)" by ?? which I think was actually written for a wedding. There is a "Recessional" by Frank Bridge in there... ... makes me want to replace those books... As I understand it the first part of the Mendelssohn Sonata in A major was supposed to be the wedding music for his sister Fanny. He took ill or something and she must have used alternative music.. ... if you want to get off the beaten path but stay in the same park... ...

H

Leisesturm

OMG I've become one of those people who reply to long dead threads as if they are still active... ... <hangs head>

Dorsetmike

OMG I've become one of those people who reply to long dead threads as if they are still active... ... <hangs head>

I wouldn't say 5 weeks old is a dead thread compared to some that get resurected round here, some that get woken up are years old!

Luis Enrique

Lately on I have been playing Mendelssohn at the entrance and Pomp & Circumstance at the final (Brides feel themselves like Princess Diana...some of them comment)

pcnd5584

Wow... people still get married in churches? I haven't played for a wedding since... ... 2005?? ...
H

They certainly do. I played for one last Thursday. It was snowing. Again. It is supposed to be April. (Yes I know that most of Canada is buried under about fifty feet of snow, and that most people have been unable to find their 4X4 Land Rovers since last September - but this is England....)

They had fairly boring music, unfortunately. Still, at least the bride was on time and she requested Widor's Toccata for the recessional. This is, it must be said, more interesting than the Wedding March. Although it was cold outside, I played it in a speed close to that of Widor's own recording. many people play this piece (or attempt to play it) much too quickly. In order to cure this, such organists should try to gain access to one of Cavaillé-Coll's larger instruments - S. Sulpice would be ideal - and attempt to play it at that speed, with Barker lever assisted action and ventils as the only aids to registration. I suspect that, if they were to be allowed to do so, they would realise that playing it rather quickly was neither intended by Widor, nor physically possible on these instruments.

For the record, a few other good pieces for the recessional at a wedding (providing of course that the organ is up to it) are:

Final - either from the Second or the Sixth Symphony for Organ, by Charles-Marie Widor.
(Both are good.)
Final, from the First Symphony for Organ, by Louis Vierne.

I have also played Carillon-Sortie, by Mulet and the Prelude and Fugue, in B major, by Dupré.

Whilst I do play the Final, from the Sixth Symphony for Organ, by Louis Vierne, I have yet to be asked to play it at a wedding.

Last edited:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Kriegsmarsch der Priester* is another option for a recessional. I stumbled upon an organ arrangement by Steggall and used this piece as a Prelude this morning.

*War March of the Priests (from Athalia)

Leisesturm

I have also played Carillon-Sortie, by Mulet and the Prelude and Fugue, in B major, by Dupré.

Whoa... talk about insane tempi. I have yet to hear a recording of this that allows a listener, even a seasoned organist listener, to actually hear the genius of this piece. I am learning it right now and my technique will NEVER allow me to play it fast enough to destroy it. IMO that is a good thing. That's just the Prelude. You actually play the Fugue?? I bow and scrape in your general direction... ...

H