is playing guitar is good for your mental health?

gustavowoltman

Civilian
We see playing guitar as a form of mindful escapism, a way to create space between an individual and their busy mind. Guitar-playing is beneficial to your overall well-being and mental health in other ways, too, including helping you develop a greater sense of personal achievement.

What you say about this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Playing any musical instrument, imho, is great for your mental health.

In my case, being a professional musician, music is my gyroscope ... it keeps me from losing my sanity, and yet is able to calm my heart and soul at the same time.

When completely out of sorts I will listed to the organ works of Messiaen.

Guitar Playing is Good for Mental Health

I agree with Krummhorn. Playing any instrument is good for mental health. In fact, even singing is good too but playing a musical instrument has greater results.

One thing I wish to add, though, is that one has to learn the fundamentals for proper skill development and to avoid physical problems such as tendonitis, bad back etc.

So one shouldn't fret. Guitar playing is good.

iwan ruby

anything related to art in my opinion is very good for mental health, as long as the art is positive (Of course, the level of positivity according to each person will be different).. and in my opinion music is also a work of art, whatever is in it, including the guitar as a musical instrument! but because music relates to the emotions of the person involved, it also has different effects! so it will actually return to each of us, what kind of effect will it have on us..

elderpiano

We see playing guitar as a form of mindful escapism, a way to create space between an individual and their busy mind. Guitar-playing is beneficial to your overall well-being and mental health in other ways, too, including helping you develop a greater sense of personal achievement.

What you say about this?
Playing is a great escape from the worlds turmoils and wonderful relaxation therapy, changes the mood into happier thoughts, challenges the brain power, learning new piece, etc.. reading music.. Play the instrument you love. My instrument is piano. I use my headphones at home . 🎸🎹🎶🎸 You can even teach music , get others enthused to achieve what they thought they couldn't achieve!

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I tend to believe playing any musical instrument is a way into your own heart and soul. For me, music is my gyroscope, I cannot live without it. When I'm down in the dumps mood wise (which lately is quite often for some strange reason :rolleyes:) I go and practice at the church where I'm employed as the organist. I have 24/7 access so it's only a matter of a 5 minute drive in the car.

John Watt

Playing electric guitar onstage always lets me express all my emotions, in ways I can't do in public.
I like to whip bass players with my guitar cord, and while that sounds too easy to do, it resulted in firings,
and that's the bass players who didn't like it. I also had to sand down my head-stock once a year,
to smooth out all the dings from helping drummers play cymbals, always wanting to add some extra shots.
Throwing my guitar around, getting down on the stage, getting down on the dance floor, always wonder-full.
With a setting I can get I can hit my guitar out with my hip and let it hit my hip to make the sound,
being able to play rhythm with one hand on the frets, or a pick, making it easy to help the keyboard player.
Sword-fighting, jabbing, rubbing it against the amp for mellow tones and the mike for strident ones,
dry-humping the tremolo unit with a notch in the side of the amp, that's a lot of tension and release,
and just think, I could play guitar onstage three or four days in a row before it went out of tune.
Good thing I made my own lefty. Oh! Here's my newest, not glued together.
Somewhere, under the rainbow, blue birds hide, they know, all about this new virus,
because, when they wear masks they can't fly.

as always, John Watt

Attachments

• ssb101.JPG
    ssb101.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 1