Google street view

Dorsetmike

I see that there is now almost full cover of UK and much of western Europe, exceptions seem to be Eire, Belgium and Germany, (have their governments banned it?) while Portugal is still patchy. Of points further east, only parts of Czechoslovakia appear.

Rural parts of Spain, Italy and France seem to only have major roads covered

Australia, New Zealand and Japan show as do most of USA and the southern parts of Canada, a few spots in Mexico and Alaska.

[nitpick]
Another thing I noticed is that you can often see the joins between shots when you zoom in and pan round, look at the eaves of houses, fences or walls for breaks in horizontal lines, sometimes horizons and cars too.(there's a break right down the front corner of my house!)[/nitpick]

clicky

It takes a while to load

Look at me roofline, it's also vivsible but less obvious at the front wall and pavement kerbstone. I can date it within a few days, to around April 20th last year, by the Wisteria in flower and it looks like a rose just showing colour on the trellis

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Very nice looking home, Mike :up:.

Love the greenery - I can see how you appreciate and like working in your garden areas.

Dorsetmike

The link isn't working here, I did try doing "quote" of your post, but there is nothing after your comment on my garden area. The part containing the link and everything after is not included in the quote! The Yellow man street view icon does flash but that's all!

I can view locations if I open Google map on Tucson Arizona, I did manage to find your church by its address (Google search, I'm a nosy ***) but I also found a problem looking for a friends place in Pa, although they can see their place, the nearest street view I could access was the main road about half mile away, I could get the normal satellite view, but not street view.

Strange goings on !! Be intersting to see if others can see it, maybe there is some sort of restriction on viewing outside USA?

Soubasse

This one's a bit different!
Not sure how it got on line! Appears on the next frame west.

Took me a while to realise what that was!! At first it looked as though the Vogons were invading.:grin:

As for people who need hobbies, I don't envy the task of collating and linking however many millions of photos were taken for Googles street view - what an undertaking!

Dorsetmike

CT, I should point out that I did not spend forever trawling through the Google images, the pliers were posted on another forum.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I tried to find my house but all you could see were trees and a cemetery, it is a wonderful tool amazing how you can twist it through 360 deg

Dorsetmike

I've since seen some more strange ones, 2 frames with lads "mooning at the camera, one with a seagull nearly filling the screen, another with a barechested man giving a 2 fingered salute rom a window. Doesn't say much for their quality control

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
How hilarious - I'd moon at them, too, if I knew it was google street view cars at their job. Don't they drive about in unidetified cars to stop people being risible?

Dorsetmike

Bill, that's a satellite TV dish, above right of the door if you move the view to near the door (click on the arrow pointing into Layton road) and look at it you can see it better, the next houise up the hill has one as well, more easily recognisable.

CT the cars they used here were smallish black hatchbacks, the cameras were mounted on a sturdy pole fastened to a roof rack, looked about 3'/1M high, so easily recognisable.

One bone of contention is that the police often stop photographers on the street and search them under anti terrorism laws, sometimes getting quite nasty about it and yet Google can photograph the whole country including military establishments that can be seen from public roads. and other "sensitive" locations.

marval

Unfortunately the lads mooning were in my town, I hasten to add not all the residents do that.

It is interesting what you can see.

Margaret

OLDUDE

HI Mike,
I guess you're not getting my address.
heaven knows what you might see.
Cheers john