A lovely bit of jazz

Dorsetmike

Clue one on Septet line up; trombonist was active from 1934 to mid 90s, played for an air force dance orchestra during and after WW2 lived to the age of 82. Also played some comedy roles on TV and films.

Last edited:

stu

Only one I can think of Mike was maybe George Chisholm. I think trumpeter Tommy McQuator was also a member of that band.

Dorsetmike

Stu, George Chisholm yes, also Kenny Baker, Bill McGuffie, Jud Proctor, Lennie Bush, can't recall the Drummer until I find where I last had the disc! Tommy McQuator was on the full band line up which was all UK players except BG himself. LP "London Date 1969" subsequently toured Europe in 1970 with most of same line up.

stu

We all have our preferances on violins or strings in jazz. For me there were two top violinists in jazz, Ray Nance with Duke Ellington (as Duke would announce him, "we now call on our string section") and the other violinist is Stuff Smith. Stuff could swing most jazz violinists off the stage, and he sounded like an entire orchestra. I enjoyed his playing because he played 'dirty'. Forget the good manners and just get dug in!! He 'sawed' the violin!:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5J0t-Fgn6AE

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
Quite a line up Steve.

I do like vocals as well and it was that that really got to me with Jack Teagarden and started me on the road to jazz appreciation.

http://youtu.be/0HChSbLw05k

Can you beat this?

teddy

Last edited:

OLDUDE

Back to your post of 28th Stu,
What about Stephane Grappelli?
and Regina Carter?

Last edited:

stu

I enjoy both John especially Regina Carter, It's just that I have always enjoyed the wild swing and the jazz and horn like approach of Stuff Smith. To me he ignored all the rules. Ray Nance was a mixture of both melody and with a touch of the gutsy styles. I did attend two Grappelli concerts and thoroughly enjoyed both. He was a swinging violinist for sure. Maybe more polite than the others. Regina Carter has a lot of the Stuff Smith ingredients in her playing and there is also substance and creativity.

stu

Like most of the UK, the weather where I live on the east coast has been freeeeezing! Brass monkey weather!! Snow for two weeks or more, now two or three weeks with a sea breeze that is known here as 'the beast from the east'. The daffodils are trying vainly to blossom, while traces of snow still persist along the field hedges and fences, and my daily backpack walks with the dogs have been curtailed somewhat because it's just not 'hip' to sit on a tree trunk with a cup of coffee that turns freezing as soon as it hits the cup!! In the garden even the birds seem to be puzzled. The resident blackbird sits huddled up behind a bush and asks " Hey Stu! What's with this lousy weather? Like all the other guys I got a nest to build but the building trade has come to a halt!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xhxTUMXrywg

Last edited: