Are CDs destined to the same fate as cassettes?

Violinschlüssel

I true-heartedly hope that CDs will never disappear. It's been sad enough witnessing to CDs wiping off vinyl records: I don't think I could stand another revolution in this music field.
I don't know about the rest of you, but where I live it's become simply impossible to find music cassettes. CDs have made them get retired too.
Besides, I've never downloaded music from the net and I strongly doubt I'll ever do. I like... well, things I can touch. So, please, don't take CDs away from me! ;)

ArtsWom

While I'm sure this must have been discussed elsewhere in this forum, I think this story should rekindle this debate a little.....

Radiohead release download-only, pay-what-you-like album...

Interestingly, the band are releasing a boxed set containing vinyl and CD for £40 come December. I don't think I'll be paying that, but then again I'm not the biggest Radiohead fan. If it was for a band I truly loved though, then I think I will be attracted...

Will CDs all eventually become collectors editions and cost a hefty amount? Or is this only something that key artists can get away with?

pnoom

Radiohead will release the cd in single cd form (for regular price) in early 08. But, having heard the album, it's not really worth it.

I don't think cds will die, since, from my experience, the people who exist outside of the popular music bubble prefer cds to downloads. I know I do.