Baroque Music As You Like It.

Ella Beck

A thread to put any chance finds on YouTube, or any interesting bits of information on Baroque Music in General.

I love Baroque Music, and I am lucky enough to have as my violin teacher a professional HIP (Historically Informed Performance) violist and violinist, who performs all over the UK & sometimes further afield with some well-known baroque ensembles.
I've had lessons with him now for nearly seven years & it's been an exciting journey. :)

But any baroque music you find doesn't need to be HIP as long as you like it.

I'll start with this seasonal 'Baroque Christmas' selection -

Last edited:

Ella Beck

Monteverdi is the composer whom most people think of as the first baroque composer, although others point to his 'renaissance' features. In truth, he stands on the cusp of Renaissance/ Baroque Music.

Here's a short introduction in video.

Ella Beck

The music is fab, the musicians look great, as do the dancers - though I prefer a more lively dancing style. :)

Ella Beck

A school friend recommended Kathleen Ferrier's recording of 'He was despised' from The Messiah. Apparently it was the last recording of her life in 1952.
Here it is - and it is beautiful, although the articulation is very much of its day.

Last edited:

Ella Beck

An aria from Pergolesi's Stabat Mater in honour of mothers everywhere, on Mother's Day.
Missing my Mum so much - may she rest in peace.

Ella Beck

Telemann - Septet for 3 Oboes, 3 Violins and Basso Continuo in B flat major, TWV 44/43

Lovely! Happy Easter to everyone.

Last edited:

Ella Beck

The beautiful tone of Rachel Podger's violin is so marked in this piece by Uccelini - I like the piece, but it is a bit of scrambled egg, lurching into new tempos and tunes.