Black & white salon photos

dpurq

My first photo post failed - so here we go again.
Most of my original salon photos from the days of film, (printed 16" X 20" and mounted on hard board) were damaged by water recently. A few copies two of which are shown here survived having been saved previously on the computer. Several salon shots received Karsh awards, perhaps because he liked rather black contrasting images - as long as detail remained in the dark areas.

dpurq

marval

I like them, I think being Black and White gives them an atmospheric feel.

Well done, sorry about the others damaged by water.

Margaret

dpurq

Thanks Margaret:
I'll post a couple more later - just two at a time since I don't want to reduce them for that purpose. Don't take any B & W photos now - and nothing any more on film.

I have the option of taking B/W shots on my digital SLR ... now I'm intrigued to try that when I get a moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I agree with Margaret ... something very distinguished about B/W photography.
I find that there is lots more detail noticed in B/W that we don't see in colour photos.

marval

Wow, two more wonderful photos. I think black and white ones let you see the whole picture, without colour to take your eyes off it.

Thank you dpurq

Margaret

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I quite agree, Margaret :up:

I at one time worked in a museum where we had literally thousands of B/W photographs stored depicting life in that particular region, which was mining and foresting mostly. I would spend hours upon hours just looking at these B/W masterpieces - each so clearly defined in the greatest detail. Indeed, something does get lost in the colour shots.

My first photo post failed - so here we go again.
Most of my original salon photos from the days of film, (printed 16" X 20" and mounted on hard board) were damaged by water recently. A few copies two of which are shown here survived having been saved previously on the computer. Several salon shots received Karsh awards, perhaps because he liked rather black contrasting images - as long as detail remained in the dark areas.

dpurq

Wonderful pictures ! Thanks for sharing them. I once met a German professional photographer who never wanted to work with colour photography. These are really good.

Regards

Robert

dll927

Photography has been one of my hobbies since high school. I have enough cameras sitting around to start my own store. (Granted, some are there as collector items, not for use. Yes, I own a Leica rangefinder, but NOT as a collector item!!)

Black/white photography is NOT dead. There is still much to be said for the contrast of shades of gray.

Now, do you want to start on the film vs. digital debate? The visual version of the vinyl record vs. CD argument.

dpurq

Film/Digital

Yes, B & W film still has its followers. Having spent a lot of youthful hours in dark rooms developing film and enlarging prints - if not in a concentrated effort before salons, making prints of pictures for friend's taken at weddings etc. - all gratis, I'd had enough hours in the dark with smelly hypo. The business was not something I aspired too, besides I had too many other time-consuming hobbies. So digital, for me is a welcome relief. I can't argue the merit of one versus the other without smellng hypo. I don't take any B & W pictures now, but very much appreciate the fine work of others.

Here are two more of those old salons. All of the originals were taken with a small format (half 120mm - 16 per roll) German Welta folding camera with one of the sharpest lenses I've ever enjoyed - a Schneider Xenar. The enlargements were mostly made by using the camera in a home-made enlarger. My present digital Lumix has a Leica (licensed) vario lens - the best lens for me since the Welta.

Re old cameras: to take architectural shots at one time, I bought an old, used, larger format, folding camera - mainly because it had tilts which are pretty important for architecture. Unfortunately, the lens wasn't very good.

Many thanks for the kind responses. Soon all the salons (not damaged by water) will have been posted, and that will be the end of it.
dpurq

marval

Two more photos, thank you.

My eyes are drawn to the subject, because they are B&W.

Thanks again.

Margaret

Muza

Its amazing,
what would be just another dull color photograph, not worthy of an extra glance, is a completely different picture when its black and white. Its captivating, hypnotyzing - it draws you to look, explore, find. Amazing!

These are really excellent pictures Dpurg,

Please never stop taking such images ! I'd love to see more. How about a series on forests and another on great bridges (suspension bridges) etc. ? I'm sure these would be marketable if available in poster size and mounted for hanging in homes etc.

Extraordinary !!

Best wishes

Robert

dpurq

B & W Salons

Thanks Robert - and the others as well for your encouragement!
Here are three more.
dpurq

dpurq

B & W Salons

I'm getting down to the dregs of the B & W pile!
An old classmate and artist seeing these resurrected pictures had this to say:
"It is nice to see your old Saloon photos.
I remember the photo of the eggs that received acclaim in the Exhibition. I think it was given a standing ovulation".

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
The intricate detail in both the foreground and background of the fisherman repairing his net is so perfect in every way.

These are just absolutely stunning.

dpurq

Many thanks for the positive response - I'm afraid I'll be getting a swelled head!
dpurq