Chocolate cake quest

teddy

Duckmeister
Black Forest Gateau has always been one of my favourites David. My youngest is a very good cake/dessert maker and makes mean chocolate layer cake, with chocolate icing. Not good fora man on a diet. There is a marbled Madeira in the cupboard at the moment.

teddy

John Watt

I like any chocolate cake, but really like one with strawberry jam for a filling between layers.
Coconut sprinkled on top helps.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Loving ALL the suggestions here - and Margaret - I'd never have thought about putting stout into a cake by why not? When we were eating dinner this evening we had freshly prepared Beetroot (not the tinned stuff). And I said to my partner's mum - you reckon it would work in a cake, she said, "can't see why not, just have to figure out what to pair it with ... food for thought (no pun intended).

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
@John - mmmmmm jam between - that's a classic. With a lemon icing maybe? Sharp and tart to fight the sweetness of the chocolate and jam, yes?

John Watt

Contratrombone64! You're making me miss my mother's Scottish baking.
Lemon icing, lemon tarts and lemon merinques were always tasty.
I haven't found an orange or lemon marmalade as nice.

marval

Hi David

I absolutely love beetroot.

I have never tried this, but it sounds nice. I pinched it from another site.

Chocolate Beetroot Cake

30g cocoa powder
115g plain flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
150g caster sugar
240ml corn oil
1.t teaspoons vanilla essence
3 whole eggs, beaten
200g plain cooked beetroot - well drained & grated
110g plain dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces (rubble rather than dust)

Preheat the oven to 375F/190C/Gas 5.

Sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and mix in the sugar. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.

Grease a 18.5cm (7-inch) cake tin with butter and line with greaseproof paper. Pour in the cake mix.

Bake for 50 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. It will be fairly moist and 'fudgy' in the middle.

Turn out, and cool on a rack. Serve dusted with icing sugar and with a dollop of creme fraiche.

Tips:
When the cake is cool, coat with a plain chocolate glaze: melt 150g dark chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, and stir in 125ml double cream. Mix together thoroughly. Allow to cool a little, then pour over the cake to coat it evenly.

teddy

Duckmeister
Came home today to find my daughter has cooked a chocolate sponge. Two layer, with a chocolate cream filling and chocolate icing. Plenty of chocolate icing.

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
The large chocolate cake my daughter baked is slowly getting smaller. I would not want to offend her by not eating it.

teddy