Converting LP's to MP3

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
After the first of the new year, I'm going to embark on the project of converting my LP's to MP3 format one by one. I've found a super deal at Costco on a new player that has this capability - hooks up to the PC via USB and converts the analog signal into digital format.

Anyone else done this or thought about it?

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Yeah, I've been thinking about this for a very long time. I have some LPs on my own. Polish jazz records from 1950s, I'm guessing they're pretty valuable now. Unfortunately, I haven't got a record player. Anyway, good luck with converting your LPs:).

Regards,
Mat

Sybarite

Don't waste your money on buying one of those record decks that supposedly does it for you. You can get an iMic for way, way less, which will do the job perfectly well. It'll also plug into a tape deck and allow you to upload your tapes into a digital format.

NEB

Now that is interesting Syberite. What can it actually do? How does it work? Do you need other software with it?

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Sybarite's been away for a while I've not seen her post for ages. Hope she's ok? And, an answer to NEB's question would be good as I'm a techno-phobe ... Luddite actually.

jvhldb

I've been using Nero to convert audio tapes to various formats. I simply used and RCA to stereo adapter on my tape deck, plugged into my PC and started converting. Nero can do the same with those black plastic things my mom still has (she reffers to them as LP's and singles), but none of our three turn tables have needles in them and finding one is more difficult than finding spares for a 1972 Chevrolet.

JONESEY

When I converted LP's to MP3, I just plugged the record deck into the mic port of the PC (using the necessary converters etc) and played the music into a Steinberg app ... think it was called Wavelab Lite off the top of my head.

Anyway, did some de-popping and generally cleaned up the sound and saved them - worked a treat.

Dismantled that setup some years ago, but I'm pretty sure I still have all the stuff if you want me to hunt it out and write it up in more detail?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Jonesey,

I'll have to give that a try ... just yesterday I purchased a licensed copy of Wavelab for editing the MP3 recordings of some church services that I've recorded. That software application is slicker than monkey snot on a doorknob to use - very user friendly.

I've got a fairly good Aiwa turntable, but need to get a new stylus before attempting to record my excellent condition DGG LP's.

JONESEY

Krummhorn - glad you like Wavelab. I'm currently using some software called Traktion for recording keyboards, piano etc and purchased a VST plugin for pipe organs the other day.
It only gives you the choice of "Church Organ, Cathedral Organ" etc etc, no choices on actual pipes or sounds, but it's still good enough to practise with.
Did a simple recording of a few bars last night and it sounded pretty good.

Of course, it was cheating - recording one hand at a time, but the end product sounded quite impressive.

CT - de-popping ... nice term eh? :)