favorite jazz composers (and their compositions)?

escher

mine are probably wayne shorter and andrew hill, cause they bring an harmonic sophistication never heard before in jazz that is totally original.
But i like also Monk, Nichols, Sun ra, Ellington, Strayhorn, Horace Silver, Mary lou Williams, Booker little, Ornette Coleman, Mingus etc)

Wayne Shorter (footprints, dear sir, rio, pinocchio, sanctuary, nefertity, on the milky night express, children of the night, this is for albert, midnight in carlotta's hair)
Andrew Hill (New monastery, Duplicity, Flea flop, Reconciliation, Compulsion)
Sun ra (Lights of a satellite, tapestry from an asteroid)
Herbie Nichols (Sunday stroll, Spinning song, House party starting, 'orse at safari)
Monk (evidence, panonnica, dear ruby, well you needn't, monk's dream)
Horace Silver (Shirl, Senor blues)
Ellington and Strayhorn (and Mercer and Tizol) (blue light, blue serge, chelsea bridge, who knows, caravan, reminiscing in tempo, come sunday, cafè au lait)

i'd like to see some examples of compositions you like of that particular composer, not just his name

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Wayne Shorter-- Mr. Jin; Ping-Pong; Tom Thumb; Ju-Ju; The Chess Players. Lee Morgan-- Ceora; Speedball; Calling Miss Khadija; Morgan the Pirate;Search for the New Land; Sidewinder. Horace Silver-- Que Pasa[both versions]; African Queen; Calcutta Cutie; Cape Verdean Blues; Silver Threads Among My Soul; Sighing and Crying. Herbie Hancock-- Maiden Voyage; Cantaloupe Island; A Tribute to Someone; And What If I Don't; Three Bags Full; Empty Pockets. Joe Zawinul-- 74 Miles Away

escher

Horace Silver-- Que Pasa[both versions]; African Queen; Calcutta Cutie;

i like calcutta cutie too, i don't remember now que pasa and african queen, i have to listen them. :)
I would add also "peace"

Herbie Hancock-- Maiden Voyage; Cantaloupe Island; A Tribute to Someone; And What If I Don't; Three Bags Full; Empty Pockets.

my favorite of hancock is withouth a doubt Tell me a bedtime story

White Knight

Hi escher, African Queen is from The Cape Verdean Blues cd and Que Pasa? [both versions] is on Song For My Father as is Calcutta Cutie. I'm not familiar with the Hancock piece cited by you; can you let me know where I might find it? Thanks.

escher

Hi escher, African Queen is from The Cape Verdean Blues cd and Que Pasa? [both versions] is on Song For My Father as is Calcutta Cutie. I'm not familiar with the Hancock piece cited by you; can you let me know where I might find it? Thanks.

shame on me, two of his most famous albums and i didn't remember these two pieces... anyway, you can find Tell me a bedtime story on Fat Albert Rotunda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f8SbbdrEQg

White Knight

escher, don't feel bad, it happens to me all too often. Thanx for the 411 on the Hancock piece and its attendant link.

Last edited:

Dorsetmike

You youngsters are posting fairly recent names, there's loads of older stuff around that has stood the test of time.

For me it has to be John Lewis of MJQ and his Django, almost a tie but running it a very close second, Bag's Groove by Milt Jackson.

Another contender, Mel Powell, with "Borderline" and "Quin & Sonic" both from the album Borderline, rereleased on CD "It's been so long".

A few others for consideration

Al Jolson's Avalon

Bob Haggart's What's New

Loads more I could add, maybe when I have time to meditate on this ...........

escher

You youngsters are posting fairly recent names, there's loads of older stuff around that has stood the test of time.
For me it has to be John Lewis of MJQ and his Django, almost a tie but running it a very close second, Bag's Groove by Milt Jackson.

that's true, but for me is just because i like to hear more advanced harmonies (anyway, Ellington, Mary Lou Williams, Monk or Herbie Nichols certainly are not recents), i like the little i've heard of john lewis and mjq, but i tend to prefer more dissonant/weird chords.

For the old school a favorite of mine for example is Red Norvo's Dance of the octopus, someone called it the first example of third stream (and the most harmonically advanced jazz piece of the 30s for Gunther Schuller), very dissonant stuff but at the same time funny and strangely playful, it could must be the music of a cartoon

OLDUDE

I've been searching the old threads again.
I must have missed this one when it came out.

But what about Hoagy carmichael? -think Stardust and dozens more.
Didn't he write for Bix as well Colin?
John

gord

benny golson wrote some nice pieces.
killer joe
i remember clifford
stable mates
whisper not gord