Gregorian chant

Serassi1836

What are you thinking about gregorian chant?

I love it. I'd that in masses and offices gregorian chant must be compulsory. My favourite gregorian songs are the hymns "Pange Lingua" and "Veni Creator Spiritus", all the sequences (Veni Sancte Spiritus, Stabat mater, Lauda Sion, Dies Irae and Victimae Paschali) and the Missa VIII (de Angelis) because their musics and their lyrics are beautiful.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I guess that is one of the things I miss the most no longer playing in the RC church. The parish that I served as organist did this frequently, especially on the higher feast days. There is something so very calming for my soul listening to Gregorian chant - it sweeps me away to another time & place for sure.
At times in my present parish (Lutheran) I will use these for meditation times - Very effective, especially in the evening services under candlelight.

Daniel Palmer

I think it's beautiful - simple, yet so effective. I was lucky enough to go to a retreat to a monastery a few months back, and Gregorian chant was used a lot.

Daniel

jvhldb

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing it live, but I do have two CD's that I like to listen to regularly. For relaxing and calming it works better than any seditave if ever come across.

marval

I agree, I really like Gregorian Chants, They are very relaxing in a mad world.

Margaret

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
I personally find Gregorian Chants boring. But that's just me. Add a saxophone to the equation and I feel like committing homicide.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Hi CT64,

Now I'm really confused :confused::confused::confused: You said you don't like Gregorian Chant - What about Durufle's settings of Gregorain Chant or Charles Tournemire's settings of Gregorian Chant? Please help me dear sir - I'm perplexed :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Cheers,

CD :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

NEB

I like Plainsong. I think there is something very moving and yet relaxing for the soul. Especially where the plainsong is Latin and mens voices.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I'm with you there, NEB ... something about the male voice and its sonorities in that kind of music, especially if the building it's being sung in has marvelous acoustics.

NEB

Yep - a Nice live resonance and an echo that can only come from stone walls floor and roof and NO soft furnishings!

Wonderful.

jvhldb

I personally find Gregorian Chants boring. But that's just me. Add a saxophone to the equation and I feel like committing homicide.

If I could I would send all saxophones into space together with all jazz music, no space suits allowed;). The combination usually send me on a sedative hunt.:crazy:

Fretless

(Mnemosyne? :p )

I don't listen purposely to Gregorian chant much, but I enjoy what I hear. I actually enjoyed listening and identifying the different forms of chant when we had listening exams in music history in college.

Serassi1836

Dear Contratrombone,
how you can define gregorian chant boring? I think it's exciting. You say that you like it more if there is a saxophone. But a jazz music instrument on a sacred music is a sacrilege. The only instrument you can use with it is the pipe organ!

musicalis

Daer Friend

Do you know that 2 cheap and powerful softwares nammed Melody Assistant and Harmony Assistant are able to write Gregorian music and sing it in latin (synthetised human voice) with a plugin called Virtual singer. See the web site (in English) of this French dynamic company).
http://myriad-online.com/en/index.htm

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Serassi1836 ... please don't criticise me for not liking a genre, that's offensive. I also happen to dislike the Beatles, which annoys alot of people too, what this thread was asking, if you read the original post, is what YOU personally think of Gregorian Chant. Hence, my answer is correct. Where you agree with it or not is totally irrelevant!!

What's more - if you're going to make a public post and then (surprise surprise) have people not agree with you, get over it. It's what this forum is all about!!

If you really dislike someone, you can block their threads ... I've got two people who seriously annoy me, and now I simply don't see their drivel. Simple!

C5Says

Serassi1836 ... please don't criticise me for not liking a genre, that's offensive. I also happen to dislike the Beatles, which annoys alot of people too, what this thread was asking, if you read the original post, is what YOU personally think of Gregorian Chant. Hence, my answer is correct. Where you agree with it or not is totally irrelevant!!

What's more - if you're going to make a public post and then (surprise surprise) have people not agree with you, get over it. It's what this forum is all about!!

If you really dislike someone, you can block their threads ... I've got two people who seriously annoy me, and now I simply don't see their drivel. Simple!

I don't know what a Gregorian chant sounds like nor am I interested in any chant at all. The idea sounds cultish to me. Am not saying it's not nice. Music is in the ear of the beholder. Maybe my ears are limited in taste. :D

Hey Contra...I just want to know if I'm one of those two, for whatever reason I may not be aware of...If you don't reply to this, that means I am. ;) So if you see this, be sure to reply so I know. ;) ;) :) :)

Last edited:

Serassi1836

Dear Contratrombone, I didn't want offend you! Sorry! That's right, I exited from my original message. But it's a forum, and we can also write that we aren't agree with someone.

Jadeinla

99 Essential Chants

I love Gregorian chants. I just found out actually that Amazon.com is releasing a collection of 99 Essential Chants on June 20th for 99 Cents only ( I checked the tracklist and it all looks like legit and high quality sacred music with a dominance of Gregorian and Orthodox chants).
I guess I found the perfect recession proof Father's Day gift. more than six hours of music for a dollar!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C1ZYVA