How's Your Weather?

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
We have just caught the tail end of Cyclone Winston as it dies down after giving Fiji a rough time, we have had nice steady rain all night and today, so after a very hot and dry spell it has brought us relief.
@ aaa 40 deg C. boy thats hot where are you?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
You're spot on, Mike.

We do get those 40°(C) and higher in our summer months. I'm still running about in shorts and tees when it's 40°(F) here.

We've had a heat wave the past several weeks ... temps in the 90's (F) or ~32 (C) and loads of sunshine ... albeit stupid sunshine :lol:.

Supposed to cool off into the coming weekend, but not cool enough to break out the parkas again. I'll still be in shorts and tees.

teddy

Duckmeister
***** cold here. Too cold to go out and chop wood. Lots to do in the garden but I don't want hyperthermia so I am bundled up in front of a roaring fire.

teddy

Dorsetmike

For those of you sweating it out in warmer climes, this is today through my window, really need a video to get the effect of the howling gale whipping the trees about as well; temperature hovering around +5C/41F, feels more like -1C/30F (my wheels at left)

wetnwindy1.jpg

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
Same here Mike. Around 40F and steady rain with strong winds.

They have promised it will start to warm up tomorrow but I will believe it when I feel it

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
Actually warm enough to leave the heating off today and I went out and chopped a good stack of logs. Still not what I would call warm yet. We are down to our last eight bags of coal although there is still a large pile of wood to be cut in the drive and about three weeks supply I have cut and stacked round the back. Just have to hope for a warm May

teddy

Dorsetmike

I actually drove a few miles with my window open today. What does annoy me in these winter months is that the sun being low tends to dazzle, or when going through a tree lined bit of road with the sun through the trees, the distraction caused by the continual rapid flicker of light and shade, good job I'm not epileptic!

teddy

Duckmeister
I also find that annoying although I find that if the sun is on the offside moving the sun visor around by 90 degrees usually helps.

teddy

Dorsetmike

Being tall I have my seat well back, the sun visor is not long enough to block the whole door window, so is only worth swinging the visor when the sun is off the starboard bow (or port bow if you drive on the other side of the road)

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
You could always attach an extension to it Mike. A piece of cardboard and a couple of elastic bands would do it.

teddy

JHC

You are right Mike the flicker of light through trees etc (strobe effect) can be very dangerous for some people it can induce tiredness and even cause drivers to fall asleep at the wheel and as you say epileptic’s are prone to fits in this situation.
In NZ we have to endure a very low angle of morning sun and a lot of accidents are put down to this, we call it “Sun strike” last Wednesday we decided to have a day out at Taupo and due to my Eye condition I am restricted to a 45k radius from home and no city driving so I usually take the first and last bit of a trip and my wife has to do the rest, any way we start off about 9am, sky is overcast just the ideal condition for me but wouldn’t you know it after about 10k out comes the sun and 90% of the time it is dead ahead, after a couple of strays over the centre line I just had to give the wheel to the missus. That lucky old sun has nothing to do but roll around heaven all day. grrrrrr

JHC

Being tall I have my seat well back, the sun visor is not long enough to block the whole door window, so is only worth swinging the visor when the sun is off the starboard bow (or port bow if you drive on the other side of the road)
Why not wear a peaked Cap aka Golf Hat you can turn that easily and quickly in any position?

Picture of me 1.png

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I keep one of those in the car all the time ... nice to have on with the sunroof open, too.

JHC

Yes I have a roadster and it is an essential bit of equipment in that.

JHC

I mentioned Sunstrike' earlier it is very, very dangerous.
Yesterday about 7:30pm we were on our way home from a day out and my Wife driving, we were in the shadow of the trees on our right, just coming to the top of a gentle incline when we hit the Sun straight in front of us, absolutely blinded us and the car we were following we ground to a complete halt.
I do wonder how many accidents it causes.