Is our music going 80s???

Muza

Hi Guys,

I was just looking around myself and have been noticing how various aspects of our lives have been turning back to 80s. For instance, fashion nowadays is very 80s - the styles, the accessories, etc. Similar observation could be made for other things as well.

Seeing this brought me to thinking - is the same true for music? What do you guys think?

methodistgirl

That would be nice. I like the eighties. This is a time before 9-11, war
in Iraq and the doman of President Reagan's dianisty. Sorry I can't
spell that. Madonna was big and Michael Jackson.
judy tooley:grin:

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hi Muza,

Yes, I would find it refreshing if popular music returned back to the 80's. I find the present day 'contemporary' music is depressing - most all is written/performed in a minor key, lyrics are about death and destruction, and performers no longer look happy when they are singing ... I love classic rock out of the 70's and 70's. There's a local FM station who plays nothing but this period ... it really picks my spirit up.

Muza

I recently heard this russian pop song - totally done in the 80's style, the music and the video. I found it really cute. I will post it if I ever find it :)

methodistgirl

Even the late seventies were a joyful time as well as the eighties. I will
agree with Krummhorn about the music like it is. Since sept,11,2001
our music changed from a happy time of music to something I would sing
at a funeral. Hey, I know that was a tragety. But we need to live on
and still have fun. I know that we are fighting Iraq, but let's not sound
so sumber. I prefer the music from the vietnam era than now.
judy tooley

Muza

Yes, I agree Judy - I think the Vietnam era music is great and fun. I dont really understand you guys though when you say music now is so sumber and sad and depressing - I guess that would depend on what kind of music you listen to. So what kind of music is it, what is it that you guys find so depressing?

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
. . . So what kind of music is it, what is it that you guys find so depressing?

It's (at least for me) all the rap crap that some of us are subjected to (forced) to hear at stoplights from the idiots who don't know how to roll up their windows when it is pouring rain or blistering hot and listen to their music in private. Those of that genre that I hear are mostly in minor keys, words of destruction and harm ... I find them quite depressing, and the mere fact that I am forced to hear them without choice just makes it all that much worse. I would get shot if I played my classical organ CD's at the same volume.

The "new age" Christian Rock stuff is also quite depressing (and too freekin loud in concerts) - we are supposed to be praising God ... why can't more of it be happier?

Besides classical, I enjoy Classic Rock from the 60's, 70's & 80's ... it's still got a good beat and mostly in "happier keys" ... Judy is right, seems since 9/11 everything got really sad in popular music ... at least that's the perception I have gotten.

Muza

Ok, I see now and now I understand where you guys are comming from. Its either depressing and morbid, or "fun" but so insanely dumb, like "im cool cause Im hot, youre not cause youre not"... - what is that??? I think my IQ drops 15 points at the least after that.

Its funny you have mentioned about playing your organ music that loud - I did something like that for a psych experiment back in high school, lols it really was hillarious :).
Me and my friend, this huge black man, all "blinged out", in a sporty racing car, drove down one of our "ghetto" neighbourhoods, where the scene is just like what you have described - lots of idiots who dont know how to roll up their windows, listening to their rap, trying to look all cool, nodding their heads with the beat... So suddenly, we put down our windows and start playing some classical music really loud and doing a dancy thing to it. As you can imagine, this has caused quite a stir. Its one of those situations where you really had to see it, but its also pretty easy to imagine - it was hillarious ;)

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I am visualizing that whole scenario right now, Muza. Itt must have been a real sight to see, and even more for the reactions that it got. Thank goodness you got out alive ... :rolleyes:.

Wonder what the reaction would be doing that on Lombard Street? :nut:

Muza

haha, its really not as dangerous as you think, its actually quite harmless - perhaps cause the reaction it elicits is not the anger, or anything positive - its more this dumb-founding reaction of "what???"

How it all started - for our psychology class, we were supposed to do something that would "break the norm," and the reactions that that elicits is really either "what the...???" or laughter cause people get that thats a joke. :) The example that we saw was a grown man looking at himself in a hand mirror and putting lipstick in the midst of day in a financial district.

P.S. I think people on the Lombard street would only care cause its just one more car holding up the line - I think people here are quite used to outrageos behaviours like that, lols :)

Muza

Here is the link to that music video that I was talking about. It just really made me smile...Maybe it will have the same effect on you guys as well :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD0CeQJs7fI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

methodistgirl

Yes, I agree Judy - I think the Vietnam era music is great and fun. I dont really understand you guys though when you say music now is so sumber and sad and depressing - I guess that would depend on what kind of music you listen to. So what kind of music is it, what is it that you guys find so depressing?

Too much of it is about either death or downgrading women making us
look like harlots. The only rap I will listen is the christian rap and the
contempery music is the contempery gospel because they are still very
clean and fresh and sound good.
judy tooley

rojo

(Ret)
Yup; pencil leg pants, skinny ties (although I haven't seen any of those returning)... I like a lot of 80's stuff, so it's fine by me. A-ha's Take On Me is one of my favs.

Speaking of the 80's, personally, I'm keeping an eye/ear open for Michael Jackson... Should be any day now... :up: :grin: (First the Thriller remixes (meh), then the new stuff...:cool:)

Last edited: