Jazz from around the World

OLDUDE

I think it is starting to sink in with me how much wonderful jazz there is from
groups around the world.
I am starting to follow this up but it requires considerable time

stu

Mat. David Newton is, as you state, a delightful pianist, both solo and in accompaniment . I often saw him when he was resident in Edinburgh for a few years before he headed off to London.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
There is a song called A Story of Polish Jazz, which is a mix between jazz and hip hop. Basically, it tells... the story of Polish jazz. Most of the artists get to play a short solo after being mentioned in the lyrics. It's a brilliant idea, really.

I can't find a link to post here. But maybe some of you will be able to listen to it on Spotify or Last.fm or somewhere else. There are two versions of the song - Polish and English. I suggest you listen to the latter. :cool:

Let me know what you think.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Yes, that's the one, Teddy. Well, almost. Because it should be ten minutes long. The Polish version is available here. I didn't post it before because the whole point is for you to be able to understand the lyrics. So unless you speak Polish... :p

OLDUDE

I think most of you probably realise I am into Polish jazz.
But teddy I did enjoy Jumbo - it demonstrates again how wide a field jazz covers.

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
It certainly does John, and Mat, I did enjoy the music even without understanding the words. Music really is an international language

teddy

OLDUDE

Thanks Mat,
You've added to my already developed theory that Poland has a great Jazz scene.
Cheers John

Last edited:

stu

Good stuff Mat. I did manage to see Tomasz Stanko a couple of times, once with altoist Lee Konitz.