Jazz...

giovannimusica

Commodore de Cavaille-Coll
Hi silentking,

Al DiMeola and John McLaughlin are excellent guitarists who play Jazz - Paco de Lucia is a Flamenco guitarist of the first rank - I believe those three guitarists did an album called *Friday Night in San Francisco* and also *Tales from the Black Forest* if my memory serves me...
pray.gif

Cheers,

Giovanni
tiphat.gif

intet_at_tabe

Rear Admiral Appassionata (Ret.)
Hi silentking,

Al DiMeola and John McLaughlin are excellent guitarists who play Jazz - Paco de Lucia is a Flamenco guitarist of the first rank - I believe those three guitarists did an album called *Friday Night in San Francisco* and also *Tales from the Black Forest* if my memory serves me...
pray.gif

Cheers,

Giovanni
tiphat.gif

giovannimusica.

I don´t know if you´re still around, but I would like in a polite way to correct you a bit on Mclaughlin/Di Meola/De Lucia. You were absolutely right about the album "Friday Night in S.F.". , which is a live album with an incrdible interaction between the three of them. Probably the best acoustic guitarists in jazz at the time in the beginning of the 1980´s.

However there is no album with the this trio, titled *Tales from the Black Forest*. *Tales from the Black Forest* is a composition by Al Di Meola and a song on the "Friday Night in S.F." album. The title is from Al Di Meola´s solo album Land Of The Midnight Sun, Columbia Jazz 1976, post his partipitation in Chick Corea´s Return To Forever Band, where Al Di Meola replaced Bill Connors on the two albums "No Mystery" Polydor Records 1975 and "The Romantic Warrior" Sony Music 1976. I f you know of the last one of these, then you know of Di Meola´s incredible technigue on the acoustic guitar. However Al Di Meola and Chick Corea has done this one too as a duo, on one of CC´s albums.

The trio Mclaughlin/Di Meola/De Lucia made two more trio albums. In John Mclaughlin´s name the album "Passion, Grace and Fire" from Columbia Jazz 1983 and "The Guitar Trio" from Polydor Records, France 1996.

Again we can not discuss taste, but personally I feel the first album "Friday Night...." is the very best each of the guitarists soloing. Then suddenly without notice to let the next guy take over the solo without a break. One has to be very talented, years on end of experience and have close musical understanding and interaction with the two others to do so.

Best regards, I hope you´re still around
intet-at-tabe

Last edited: