• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

JS Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor ("Dorian") BWV 538

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Ahh, the Wanamaker Orchestral console ...

You know, I would love to go on an organ crawl there someday, and then have the opportunity to sample each stop individually ... dreaming dreaming dreaming ... in reality I'll just have to be satisfied with seeing it from afar and hearing it played by Peter Conte.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
It always amuses me that everyone gets their knickers in a knot over whose pipe organ is the biggest ... some of the most delightful sounding organs I've heard have certainly NOT be bohemoths.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
I quite agree with you, CT64 ...

Just because it's the biggest doesn't necessarily always equate to being the best in sound. I've heard (and played) lots of modest sized instruments that were absolutely spectacular - still quite capable of performing all the major organ works with lots of clarity and variety of tone colors.

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
Yes,

There is that 54 stop sweetheart of an organ at St. Sernin in Toulouse or the 50 stop gem at St. Etienne in Caen or the 64 stop masterpiece in St. Ouen in Rouen...

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Sweet Corn - hardly fair as those organs you just mentioned were made by the maker's maker, the most sublime organ builder EVER (now there's a blanket statement if ever). At least I'm thinking C-Coll

Corno Dolce

Hi CT64,

Fair and fair...When I think of great organ building it is usually Cavaille-Coll, Father Willis and Aeolian-Skinner. Todays builders would be Schoenstein, Casavant, Lively-Fulcher, and Klais.

Cheers,

CD :):):)

John McEnerney

Hi All

I play BWV-538 every 3 months or so at the church where I play the organ. IMHO the selection is of medium difficulty except for the long trill with counterpoint in measures 29-31, where it is possible to run out of fingers if you are not careful with fingering.

The problem with tempo of course is that it is really impossible to pick a good one and stick with it for all situations. Too fast is too fast. There are live acoustics and then there are churches with reverb times that last for 10 seconds or more. In the latter case it is possible to play so fast that the result is a hugh mash of sound where the casual listener cannot distinguish the notes.

I have always maintained that you are not just playing the organ, you are playing a building as well.

John McEnerney

Corno Dolce

Hi Mr. John McEnerney,

Welcome aboard - Please do make yourself feel right at home and stay for a spell. As an organist/vocalist/pianist I most certainly agree with your statement "playing a building as well". It hearkens to the phrase which Ernest Skinner said *the acoustics are the most important stop on the organ*.

Cheers,

Corno Dolce :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

PaulBunting

Bwv 538

For a slower, more comprehensible, performance of BWV 538, I can recommend Dr Albert Schweitzer's 1951-2 recording at his Gunsbach Parish Church in Alsace. Also I can recommend his joint edition of Bach's organ music with his teacher Charles Marie Widor (published by G Schirmer). In their notes, Schweitzer and Widor comment of BWV 538 "In order that this marvel of musical architecture shall impress the listener, it must be performed in a tranquil tempo and strict time".

A 1960s Columbia LP was my first hearing of Dr Schweitzer's recording. It is now available in a CD box set of his Bach recordings. Unfortunately the transfer to CD appears to have accentuated the reeds making them too brassy and lost some of the diapaison tones, but it is still useful to listen to. Of course, musical scholarship has continued on since Dr Schweitzer's time and many organists today might disagree with his tempo. One useful bit of evidence is that Schweitzer said of Strassbourg's old Silbermann organs he strived to save from modernisation, that their deep keyfall and heavy tracker action made impossible certain things you can do with modern organs including playing very fast. I have two other recordings of BWV 538: Marie Claire Alain (organ unspecified) and Lionel Rogg on a restored Silbermann organ at Arlesheim in Switzerland. They both play faster than Schweitzer, but at the loss of some of the melodic structure of the piece. Rogg's rather bright registration obscures the melody. So I commend Dr Schweitzer's judgement in this matter. In his recording of the great E Minor Prelude and Fugue made on an old Silbermann organ at St Aurelie in Strassbourg, he plays fast enough. Perhaps he judged his tempi according to what would make the listener appreciate and understand the music. It is important to study this as well as historical veracity. PaulBunting