Music Education

John Watt

It's not a question of wanting to learn music, it's about being open for it.
Every human is born singing and dancing, but most lose it by the age of five.
People who take lessons as children usually stop playing that instrument.
People who start an instrument as older teens and early twenties usually become pros.
According to the American Federation of Musicians, the musicians' union,
people who use their fingers to play live seven years longer than people who blow into them.
If you find an instrument you want to play make sure it's the right size for your hands.
Singing without words was the first language for humans. It's still out there.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
By wanting to learn music, do you mean as one who listens or plays a musical instrument?

And if a musical instrument, which one?

I would strongly advise that you seek professional lessons by a qualified teacher/tutor. It's next to impossible for a beginning player to correct technique on their own ... that is if they do not know what technique is all about. I've had 12 years of solid private lessons and two years in college. I turned professional when I was 20.

chunleitired

There are many opportunities to do that. Do you want a degree, right? I’ve heard that Rice and Curtis colleges have good options for music students. But some people choose not to get a degree and have to pay a lot for it. They prefer to get private lessons for less money and get more teachers’ attention. Both these options have pros and cons, and you have to choose what is more important. You can also go for a “middle ground” option like an unconventional college. You can go to asa miami college, for example, because they have got non-standard methods of education and you might like it more than traditional ones.