Musical Geniuses!

jason

Excluding classical music composers, who would you feel is a musical "genius"?

How I mean to define genius is hard to explain. It's not necessarily some artist you listen to a lot (though it can be), but it's just somebody that continuously seems to amaze you with their ability to create time-proof (age defying) tunes that just *hit* on all levels.

For example, I am not necessarily a fan of:
Elton John
Prince

And I am a fan of:
Dave Mustaine
Axl Rose

...but I belive they are geniuses. I'm constantly amzed and impresed by the timelessness and how "on" their music is.

Their are many more on my "list", but what I really wonder, is if others are as liberal with their "genius" label as I am. Who to you, is a musical genius?

Jette

Rear Admiral of O Theatre & the 4 - 1 + a few more
Hmm genius that`s a big word and at this moment I can only think of one Michael Jackson. I`m not a fan or anything, but I`m really impresed with his music, all though he seems to be lacking in inspiration, for the last ? years
crazy.gif
. One of the reasons why I also think he`s a genius, is his musicvideos, they are not like the ones they make today, which I think are mostly crap
banghead3.gif

Jette
grin.gif

jason

I agree completely with what you said about Michael Jackson. I think he is (maybe was) a genius. he is definately one of the artists on my list. It's too bad he just hasn't had the focus over the last number of years to create like he used to.

Lotus80

Commodore of Water Music
I think the Beatles should be on top of the list.

Some of the runner ups could be Elton John, Madonna and Dire Strait. Also the likes of Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald etc. I still find "hitting" today.

Lotus80

hornsalvig

I would also say that Queen should be on the list - but can you call a group of people a genius???

Salvig

Lotus80

Commodore of Water Music
Well, in a way I think you can. If their combined efforts prove more ingenius than what they can produce separately, then I'd say that the people as a group were geniuses... Does that make sense?

WalkingTheSky

Hmm...genius is a very intense word, I'd say...

Well, I'm going to have to go with some more recent artists, seeing as how I'm pretty young..::ducks from thrown baton::

Nickelback - An EXTREMELY talented group that is what I would call, "Post-Grunge," rather than "Rock," and they're amazing musicians as well as poets.

John Mayer - Poetic GENIUS, yes, it's safe to use the word in this case.
wink.gif
He's also quite the guitarist, believe me...watching him work his magic is a slight reminder of legends past - Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy....the like.
grin.gif

Well, I think that's good for now....hope you guys don't think me silly for the artists I've mentioned.
wink.gif

rojo

(Ret)
How about the late great Frank Zappa? Pretty much an original thinker at least.

There is nothing silly about expressing one`s opinion- heck, we`ve all got`em, and they`re only that- opinions! Teehee...

jason

hornsalvig - Agreed about Queen, and "yes", I think a collective group can qualify.

WalkingTheSky - I know who Nickleback is, but I don't know their music very well. As eluded to in a different thread, I'm not a big fan of Mayer, but that doesn't exclude him.

rojo - I'm ashamed to admit I don't know much of Zappa's work. I've been meaning to give it a deep looking into.

Jette

I just thought about one more, whom I consider a genius, Jean Michel Jarre
I don`t know if I would say that he`s a genius if I only talk about his music. But the way he uses light, laser, words (fx on bigscreens), I find that`s a fascinating way to interpret music, you are not just hearing the music but also seeeing the music.

There is actually also a Danish dude called Kim Larsen, whom I consider a genius, I think his singing is awful, but a couple of month ago, I heard his songs in a theater play, with people who could actually sing and it was amazing and I realised that his songs are fantastic

Jette
grin.gif

mhoarse

Nickelback - An EXTREMELY talented group that is what I would call, "Post-Grunge," rather than "Rock," and they're amazing musicians as well as poets.

You should probably check out the attached file - hilarious stuff!

The Rising

james hefield is one of the most genius persons. a music god i'd say.
roger waters and david gilmour are geniuses too.

WalkingTheSky

You should probably check out the attached file - hilarious stuff!

Well, I'm downloading this as I type...but I'm not so sure I'm going to find it hilarious, as the title "nickelbacksucks" is putting me off just a bit.
mad.gif
But, I'll keep an open mind and try to see it as comical.
wink.gif

AM:PM

Musical Genius - Thats a tough one. Every generation has one and so does every genre. But what defines musical genius? A hit record maker, a penchant for writing timeless classics or the theoretically correct composer? The multi-talented and innovative artist or the skilled soloist?
Unless the term genius is applied loosely, I think most of the names mentioned hitherto fall short of the term musical genius.
Just my two cents worth!

A genius in my world would be someboudy who has done some ground breaking work in his or her field. Groundbreaking work that opens up new avenues, or changes a format or explains some unchartered waters.
If you get where am coming from then ask yourself, what groundbreaking work in the art of music has Nickelback, Prince, Elton John or Jean Michel Jarre contributed to music. These men (red. ex Nickelback) are very, very talented and innovative but genius- no!

Edit- Thats why I asked in my first post if the term was being applied loosely

Lotus80

Commodore of Water Music
If it's applied loosely is a matter of opinion. I don't find all of the people/bands mentioned in this thread ingenious, but some people do or else they wouldn't have been mentioned.

I don't think it is possible to define criteria, that everybody would agree on. I'm not sure that I would classify only groundbreaking work as ingenious. Cannot someone be a genius within ones field, perfecting or expanding "already chartered waters"?

It's a very interesting discussion: What defines a genius?

Lotus80..you will find in my first post (read above) I asked the same question... what defines a musical genius ? when the definition is set. It would be easy. As it is, we will be wandering into the subjective. Just my thoughts

Lotus80

Commodore of Water Music
There's nothing wrong in being subjective, is there? After all, music is not only a matter of technicalities, it is very much a matter of feelings and emotions. Just like all other arts.

The difficult part in naming the geniuses are not the naming of them, but very much the definitions.

I guess another of my criteria is, that I imagine a genius' music to be played still in 20-50 years time, at least.

How about you name some of the geniuses on your list?

Jette

how you define a musical genius is different from person to person. So when you answer it`s how YOU define the word genius.
For me it`s somebody who stands out, not necessarily somebody I listen to

Jette
grin.gif