Musical habits?

John Watt

Eddie! You typed cigarette paper, maybe just being slack, but it's the foil that works.

And I should be more careful around ATMs, the line-up feeling more like a captive audience,
than a bunch of password worried and security concerned suburbanites.

teddy! If you like whistling in the tub you should consider a microphone model soap on a rope.
It does allow options.

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Taking a bath? I have not had a bath since I was a child, we do have one in the (wait for it) "Bathroom" but it is just used once a year to wash the electric blankets.

Eddie! You typed cigarette paper, maybe just being slack, but it's the foil that works.

And I should be more careful around ATMs, the line-up feeling more like a captive audience,
than a bunch of password worried and security concerned suburbanites.

teddy! If you like whistling in the tub you should consider a microphone model soap on a rope.
It does allow options.

Yep i'd never make a copy editor that's for sure- I'd followed your advice and used the foil from the cig packet - worked a treat on my strat not so good on my tele (has Seymour Duncan pickups)

John Watt

I'm having a hard time getting my derogatory up to this thread.
I'm yearning, and burning, just not fully fontal enough to get it on.
The last man-made shower I had was in the Union Carbide in 1977.

John Watt

Just that thought has kept me occupied for a while.
This born-again virgin has nothing new to say.

And that is the worst musical bad habit, nothing new to say.
And playing the same old Jimi riffs....
is the worst thing you can be doing to a Stratocaster in the new millennium.

methodistgirl

I have a musical habit of pretending I hear christmas music
when the weather gets hot. That always seems to cool me
down, and sometimes a song will play over and over in my
head. Especially when everything is quiet.
judy

teddy

Duckmeister
You may be interested to hear John that Noel Readings brother is holding an exhibition about 20 miles from were I live. I will try and have a look at it and report back

teddy

Corno Dolce

Admiral Honkenwheezenpooferspieler
I did the same thing ... as an organist, I played for the funeral's of both my parents ... two of the most difficult services I have ever played in my life. One was at my home church, and the other out of state while on a vacation trip.

"Danny Boy" is a unique piece ... I played it as a postlude on March 17th :)

Back to the topic though ...

Yes, I do have many bad habits I seem to have acquired over the years ... one was very sloppy pedaling at the organ console. Over time it was getting worse ... I would do all the Gleason book pedal exercises to no avail. I was taught to never watch my feet while playing, so the intervals between notes are learned by feel and from playing repetition. Nothing was working ... the bench had been at the same distance/height for just years.

Finally, in complete desperation, I decided to re-adjust the organ bench ... moving it a little closer to the console ... VOILA ... found the "new" mark and marked it with a permanent black marker on the floor.

So, one bad habit has been resolved ... there are many others that need improvement, one is closing my mouth while playing. I never knew that it was open until my wife mentioned it to me awhile back.

I just could not figure out what was going on, missing certain intervals that I had played by rote for umpteen years. Finally, I tried re-adjusting the organ bench distance in relation to the console ... VOILA ... I had for years kept the bench further back, bu

YES! "Danny Boy" is a standard in my folder - Charles Callahan wrote a nice four-hand version for organ on that theme - It gets the tears flowing every time - Mine and the listeners...The actual title of Callahan's piece is "The Emerald Isle"...

Last edited:

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
It is different playing it on an Organ where you can get all emotional with out effecting your playing but not on the flute.

musicteach

Another really terrible habit that I have--that I've had for ages--is that I can't seem to hold onto a baton. I never really could. Which is mainly why I don't bother to use one in class. A few years ago I threw one and it landed in the bell of a trombone.