• Welcome to the Pipe Organ Forum! This is a part of the open community Magle International Music Forums focused on pipe organs (also known as "church organs"), organists, organ music and related topics.

This forum is intended to be a friendly place where technically advanced organists and beginners (or even non-organists) can feel comfortable having discussions and asking questions. We learn by reading and asking questions, and it is hoped that the beginners (or non-organists) will feel free to ask even the simplest questions, and that the more advanced organists will patiently answer these questions. On the other hand, we encourage complex, technical discussions of technique, music, organ-building, etc. The opinions and observations of a diverse group of people from around the world should prove to be interesting and stimulating to all of us.

As pipe organ discussions can sometimes become lively, it should be pointed out that this is an open forum. Statements made here are the opinion of the poster, and not necessarily that of the forum itself, its administrator, or its moderators.

In order to post a new topic - or reply to existing ones - you may join and become a member by clicking on Register New User. It's completely free and only requires a working email address (in order to confirm your registration - it will never be given away!). We strive to make this a friendly and informative forum for anyone interested in pipe organs and organ music.

(Note: If you wish to link to and promote your own website please read this thread first.)

Many kind regards
    smile.gif

Frederik Magle
    Administrator

Krummhorn
    Co-Administrator

organists and progressive lenses

goodwill67

Hello All,

I have not been on a forum in many years. But sometimes I just have to ask. This is porbably a bit "out there" compared to most topics, but yet is practical in nature and somewhere we have all been or will be sooner or later. Back 2008 I posted about organists and eyeglasses. I had just started wearing bifocals with lines. I was too apprehensive about the then new progressive lenses. I asked how organists who wore lined multifocal glasses adapted at the console. I learned that many organists were doing what I was and using a special pair of single vision lenses solely for the organ. Now, thirteen years later, I am wearing lined trifocals. Aging does things, doesn't it? I get along fine with the trifocals and continue to change to single vision at the organ. My optometrist recently asked me if I wanted to try progressive lenses which could be refunded if not to my liking. She tells me that advancements have been made that have eliminated a good bit of the peripheral distortion and that the intermediate and reading areas are now wider than in the past, a sticking point for many skeptical of this sort of lens. She also told me that the lined trifocals that I get along with so well are being made less and less and may eventually become discontinued meaning that I would either have to sacrifice the intermediate and go back to regular lined bifocals or resort to some form of progressives anyway. So, I am considering at least trying them even though I fear not having enough room to read. My question to anyone who wishes to respond is whether any of you wear progressive lenses and how you manage with them for day-to-day tasks and also if anyone actually uses them to play the organ. Any response from anyone willing to describe their experiences, frustration, or solutions would be most appreciated. All the best.