Prayer for Burma/Myanmar

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
CT64 is absolutely correct ... I looked this up and found this tidbit:

Because the 12 Apostles chosen by Jesus were all male, only men may be ordained in the Catholic Church. This was written in the Roman Catholic Canon Law centuries ago.

That said, the Roman Catholic church concedes that women do have some equally justified roles in Church ministry, that of being missionaries, nuns, and sisters. There is a definite difference between a "nun" and a "sister", btw. Nuns are those who are cloistered in a Monastery, while the work of a Sister is in the greater world, teaching and ministering.

Sadly, I'm often wrong, but on this I'm spot on. Also a disciple and an apostle are entirely different creatures. There were only 12 apostles, no more, no less. The fact that one of Jesus' followers was a lady of loose morals on sheds light on the fact that he (Jesus) was a man of integrity and compassion.

Muza

You are absolutely right, but I dont think those big men who write the canon laws think along those paths. And wasnt there some kind of a big deal with an idea that Jesus was married and had children - i think this was one of the big controversies after that DaVinci Code book. I dont see how that really matters also, but they find it very "offensive" for some reason.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
DaVinci Code book should have been burned in the village square for many reasons, not least of which it was dull and badly constructed.

As to canon laws - Moses was just doddling on some clay blocks, left them lying around, and they ended up at the wrong publishing house ... (ducks for cover).

Muza

haha, you can say a lot of things about davinci code, but i disagree on the dull argument. I found it to be a nice fairy tale - annoying because everything is always so simple, but definitely not boring.
I actually felt the same way about Angels and Demons, another book by the Dan Brown - although i believe the book was terribly constructed in that the story line was exactly like DaVinci Code (which was actually the 2nd book), but I liked his details, problems and solutions. My experience was actually intensified with this book, because I was reading it about the time when the pope passed away and the new one was to be elected ;)

methodistgirl

I just got a picture from the net of a church in Burma and I cried when
I saw this sight. This was a beautiful church like mine and a couple
were getting married when the earthquake happened. I could see just
how horrible it was. This picture made me think of my church and how
pretty it is now. The New Madrid fault woke up just long enough
to wake us up at four o'clock the other morning and we are just fine.
No one was hurt but it did make headlines.
judy tooley