Rating The Jazz Piece Above Me

OLDUDE

I'm going to make a confession here.
When I first heard your offering stu, I thought, this Johnny Griffin sounds a bit like Ben Webster,
and then suddenly he turned into a mixture of Bird and Trane, and I turned it off.
And then I realised: I would have preferred it to remain Ben Webster, or Lester Young, or Coleman
Hawkins, or Don Byas, or Danny Moss, or Bob Cooper, or Buddy Tate, or Jim Tomlinson, or well- - -,
I guess you've got the point.
What it comes down to is that I'm just too old to change (79 in March), and although I've been
making an effort to understand bop and hardbop, its just became too much - I'm going back to
concentrate on the jazz I love. I give your offering 7/10 in my trial mode and about 3/10 in my resumed mode.

The following track is the essence, perhaps, of my return to normality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Sul_9BcgOOI

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
I am almost wetting myself with excitement at the wonderfull music here. I had almost forgotten how good it could be.

teddy

OLDUDE

Hi teddy, Great that your computer must now be OK and to to have you back.
Dont wet yourself but Do give a rating please

stu

Coleman Hawkins Body And Soul. One of the greatest versions by one of the greatest tenors! He virtually made that tune his very own!! 10/10

stu

Gord. Never heard that one before! A bit of tongue in cheek from Kenton I suspect. A lot of Ritter in there but not much from Stan. As a 'spanner in the works' piece from you I would say. 10/10. Performance wise though, maybe 4/10.

gord

hi stu, i dont know what capitol records were thinking to put kenton and ritter together,they had many great vocalists under contract at the time.it is not a good ritter album, and also not a good kenton record.it was an experiment that failed. despite all that, i wouldnt part with this record.gord