Rating The Jazz Piece Above Me

OLDUDE

OK Mat, I did teddie's job for him again
In my newly awakened interest for "more recent" jazz (this cant be hardbop surely - too thoughtful) I rate your track
interesting 8/10.
Mat, I'm expecting a contribution from you to my new thread (world jazz) - I'm sure that you will have something
of interest to show from your part of the world.
teddie - come on, your turn.

Cheers John

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
Mat, I get a woody just looking at her, not to mention digging on her sultry and soulful voice once she starts in singing! She and Herbie pack a lot of heart into this piece. So, even tho I'm really not much for jazz vocals on the whole, this rates a solid 10/10.
Here's one from an artist I'm just getting around to really listen to--thanks to Spotify. Check out the way a much younger Keith Jarrett still manages to light it up, along with drummer Jack Dejohnette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A7-uET8Fnkk. Charles Lloyd, along with Coltrane, is next on my Amazon "tobuy list" and already in my cart!

Last edited:

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Hey Steve. Glad you liked it. That's probably one of few songs I liked that had Aguilera in it. Herbie totally rocked on the piano. Anyway, give the whole album a listen, if you can. I especially recommend When Love Comes to Town featuring Johnny Lang and Joss Stone. Pure heaven!

Re: Jarrett. It's a nice experience to hear young Jarrett playing, but I didn't like it. The rythmic pattern repeated over and over can get tiresome eventually, ya know. So, sorry but only 6.5/10.

Now, here's a track that was used in a Polish TV series about cops. One of the best native productions I've seen. Despite being sort of minimalistic, the track is full of emotions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUkTihQXEiQ

stu

Hi Gord 9 out of 10 for me too. Kenton having some fun. That's the drummer Shelley Manne hamming it up on the vocal and Maynard Ferguson hitting the high notes on trumpet.

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Ok, John. I'm leaving this one for someone else to rate, then.

gord

hi john, i find eliane elias style very appealing, i give that an 8 out of 10. gord