Real Trains

stu

Mat. 'Take The A Train' isn't actaully a steam train it is a subway train. The song words go; " hurry, take the A train, you'll find it the quickest way to get to Harlem..."
I'll post two versions on the jazz forum since this is a steam forum.
Also another song, a Louis Jordan one, I sometimes mumbled. 'Choo Choo Boogie' :)
P1020010 (800x600).jpg
That's us heading for home!

teddy

Duckmeister
Thats a great picture stu. And as far as music what about The Chattanooga Choo Choo?

teddy

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Thanks for the clarification, Stu. I'm going back to the jazz forum now :cool:

stu

Mat. Crazy!!:cool:

Teddy. " Track 29 can you spare me a dime?":grin:

And now, going back to the locomotive shed.
steam 054 (800x600).jpg

teddy

Duckmeister
Gartell Light Railway

A 2' gauge that runs through the Blackmore Vale on the route of the old Somerset and Dorset line. It currently has two steam locos and three diesels.

http://youtu.be/wt49qo6l7z4

0-4-0 side tank Jean complete with tender specially built for the line.

The line at present is only a mile long but there are plans to extend it.

2012_07_29-glr-railway-5.jpg

There does not seem to be much technical information available on the site. Much of it is given up to advertising the various attractions such as car rallies and car and steam auctions.

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
Bure Valley Railway

Runs for nine miles between Aylsham and Wroxham in Norfolk. A 2' gauge line with both steam and diesel, but mainly steam.

Thunder, a 2-6-2 tank model on the Vale of Rheidol locos built in 1966 by the Aylesham workshop, components produced by Wilson Engineering.

Wroxham Broad, also built by Wilson. A 2-6-4 originally oil fired but converted to steam, and rightly so.
There are a variety of coaches and waggons to complement the line. The railway was built on part of the bed of the old Great Eastern Line and was opened in 1990. Some beautiful scenery to be enjoyed during a day with lots of other attractions.

You will all be glad to hear that the hold a special teddy day every year.

teddy .

teddy

Duckmeister
Foxfield Railway

Originally built in 1892 to carry coal an interesting line with gradients as steep as i:19. At 51/2 miles for the round trip it gives a decent ride through the countryside. A standard gauge line based at Blythe Bridge, Stoke on Trent. Quite a collection of locomotives including this 0-4-0 saddle tank built by Bagnall in 1946.

2842.jpg

wimblebury.jpg

An unusual 0-6-0 Hunslett built in 1956

Bellerophon.jpg

0-6-0 well tank by Haydock Foundry in 1874

The variety of locomotives makes this a worthwhile visit for steam nuts.

teddy

wljmrbill

Enjoy the post. I never realize there were so many different styles/types of steam locomotives. Very interesting.

teddy

Duckmeister
There certainly is a great variety Bill. In the old days there were so many engineering works and foundries it would probably be hard to list them all. Thanks to the enthusiasts out there a lot have these locomotives have been saved for us to admire.

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
Cleethorpe Coast Light Railway.

Running for two miles along the coast from Clethorpes, Lincolnshire this 15" gauge railway looks beautiful. Unfortunately there does not appear to be any technical information on the site regarding the locomotives or rolling stock. Therefore all I can do is post some pretty pictures. There are three stations one of which boasts the smallest pub in England (although I am not sure of this) which is run from a signal box. It seems to run purely steam (good) and runs a good passenger service with what look to be immaculate carriages.

22f0a5bd6cb7.jpg

17410220856.jpg

If anyone has additional information, please add it.

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
Lovely bit of film Mike. But where was that country? No yobos, drunks, scumbags, illegal immigrants etc? Oh yes, that used to be England.

teddy

wljmrbill

Teddy:think that was true all over the world then and even now too. with this economic situation sure may get worse again

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
Lovely bit of film Mike. But where was that country? No yobos, drunks, scumbags, illegal immigrants etc? Oh yes, that used to be England.

teddy

teddy if you scroll down you will find the info:

[Rochdale Esplanade to start then Rochdale station, Fleetwood & Ex Lancashre & Yorkshire Rly 0-8-0, then shot of Drake Street Rochdale. The mechanical horse is on the exit to rochdale goods yard on Milnrow road. The popular singer Gracie Fields lived round the corner.]

Good one mike have d/l to add to my collection.....thanks

teddy

Duckmeister
Leadhills and Wanlockhead Railway

Britains highest adhesion railway reaching 1498 feet above sea level. Originally built in 1900 for transporting lead it reopened as a preserved line in 1983 and operates on a 2' gauge line initially over a 1/4 track which is steadily being extended. Although running only diesels at the moment a Orenstein and Koppel is being renovated.

Charlotte.jpg

Charlotte is an 0-4-0 well tank built in 1913 and should soon be running.

postcard2.JPG

They have a fully operational signal box and currently two stations.

A line more for enthusiasts rather than family days out

teddy

Dorsetmike

Full size trains in this 45 minute film from around 1964/5 the final years of steam haulage on the Southern region of British Rail. By this time there was little maintenance carried out nor cleaning of locos, the last steam train on the line was in July 1967. The coaching stock was fairly clean because all the had to do was haul it through a carriage washing plant, locos needed hand cleaning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uA4a6iKd_8&feature=fvwrel

I travelled this line between Bournemouth and Waterloo many times in my younger years visiting relatives in London.