Real Trains

teddy

Duckmeister
Corris Railway

In December 1966 a group of Talyllyn Railway Preservation Society members from the East Midlands formed what became The Corris Railway Society, with four goals :

The Corris Railway was the first Narrow Gauge railway in Mid-Wales. Built originally in 1859 as a 2' 3" gauge horse-hauled tramroad, steam locomotives arrived in 1878 and passengers were carried from 1883 to 1930. The Railway closed in 1948 and was dismantled soon afterwards.
The Corris Railway Museum opened in 1970 and passenger services recommenced in 2002, with regular steam-hauled services returning in 2005, operated by volunteer members of the Corris Railway Society.
The round trip taking 50 minutes, including a guided tour of the 135-year old engine shed and workshops at Maespoeth. No single tickets are issued as under planning requirements all journeys must start and end at Corris Station.

2161.jpg

A modern version of the Kerr Stuart Tattoo class delivered in 2005

To build another Tattoo might be considered sensible because the design had been accepted by HMRI, but the opportunity to build a locomotive which would closely resemble the original Corris No.3, a Falcon, although fraught with difficulties, was an opportunity not to be missed. To have an appropriately modernised replica of a Falcon would be an advantage to give the railway variety in motive power. Our photo charter friends would love it, the visual display would be more satisfying than two identical twins and it would improve the profile of the railway as a national tourist attraction.

There are plans to extend the line and fund raising is in progress

headerlogo1.gif

teddy

Last edited:

teddy

Duckmeister
Dean Forest Railway

A standard gauge line of 4 1/2 miles length and boasting six stations.

DFR-home-top-pic-03.jpg

Running through the countryside from Parkland, a village in the Forest of Dean to Lydney the society was formed in 1970 to preserve the line. The first train ran in 1978....for a distance of 150 yards. There are plans to extend the line for another 2 1/2 miles.

There are seven steam locomotives and four diesels.

3806-gbkeeling-a.jpg

This Hunslet was built in 1953 and was named by the Rev W Awdry.

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
[h=1]For any of you feeling a little flush financially, a worth while cause

The Sir Haydn Appeal launched
An appeal to help raise funds for overhaul of locomotive No.3 Sir Haydn has now been launched.
Any work on the locomotive will commence in 2014 at the earliest. The Appeal is aimed to support the future overhaul on sure financial footing.
‘Sir Haydn’ built by Hughes of Loughborough in 1878 for the 2ft 3ins gauge Corris Railway. In 1951 it was purchased by the embryonic Talyllyn Railway Preservation Society for £25, and it has worked on the Talyllyn ever since. It often appears as its alter-ego Sir Handel from the Skarloey Railway.
[/h]
No.3_last_day_2_with_C.jpg

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
[h=2]North Yorkshire Moors Railway

This must be the ultimate driver experience for those with plenty of money

Gold Experience- £1495
[/h][h=2]5 Day Course (Maximum of 4 persons on each course)[/h]Day 1: We meet you at Grosmont Tea Room for breakfast at 09:00 hrs. Then one of our instructors will take you on a short walk to the Locomotive Depot for a safety briefing, after which you will spend the day in the Engineman’s Mutual Improvement Classroom, for both theoretical and practical instruction on all aspects of locomotive and railway operation, including safety rules, signaling, boiler management, combustion, valve events, injectors, lubrication and braking systems. The day concludes around 17:00 hrs.
Day 2: Starting at 08:30 at the shed for more theory and practical instruction.
Day 3: At 08:30, under instruction you fully prepare the engine ready for work. You will familiarise yourself with the controls and how the engine handles by moving it around the shed yard, with precision stopping and coupling up; finally disposing of the engine around 17:00 hrs.
Days 4 & 5 The Real Thing: Starting at 08:30 we prepare the engine and work a train of passenger vehicles on two return journeys through to Pickering each day with you and the other participants driving and firing, concluding around 19:00 each day.
Full lunch is provided on days 1-3 with a packed lunch on days 4 & 5.

Personally I would rather spend the money riding every narrow gauge railway in Britain, but I am a narrow gauge freak.

teddy

teddy

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I recently heard mention of the "North Western Railway" now I have heard of the London and North Western but was this just a later version if not what was the livery of NWR?

I recently took a trip on the Pemberton Railway, here in South West - Western Australia.
Older picture below - sadly the Engine pictured is no longer running due to lack of volunteers -so the red tram in the pic does the trip on the old timber railway now.
Trams__Trains.jpg

Last edited:

JHC

I recently took a trip on the Pemberton Railway, here in South West - Western Australia.
Older picture below - sadly the Engine pictured is no longer running due to lack of volunteers -so the red tram in the pic does the trip on the old timber railway now.

I think there was a North Western in Aussie but I mean in the UK

Dorsetmike

I recently heard mention of the "North Western Railway" now I have heard of the London and North Western but was this just a later version if not what was the livery of NWR?

Not that uncommon to see the LNWR called the North Western, same happens with the LSWR, often called just the South Western; there were often other names, like the Greasy Wet and Rusty AKA the Great Way Round (referring to their original route to Exeter via Bristol compared to the LSWR via Salisbury) also referred to by certain demented/misguided eejits as God's Wonderful Railway,
whistling.gif
or there was the Liver, Bacon & Sausage Company (London Brighton and South Coast), the Serene and Delightful AKA Slow and Dirty applied to any of the 3 companies with S&D in the title, The Late and Never Early Railway, Lazy Swines Won't Run, probably a lot more out there. Currently Network Rail is often referred to as Notwork Fail, or variations thereon.

teddy

Duckmeister
A frightening Story for anyone who prints anything.

For 16 years, they laboured to restore a derelict steam engine to the point where it hauled the Royal Train.

But now the volunteers of the 6024 Preservation Society, whose annual profits are less than £10,000, have been forced to sell their cherished loco – after being landed with a £342,000 High Court libel bill for an article in their journal which was sent to just 13 people outside their society.

The case, which has horrified the steam preservation world, was described by the society's chairman, Richard Abbey, as "farcical" and "another nail in the coffin of voluntary work".

It comes as Nick Clegg, the Deputy Prime Minister, promises major reforms of England's "chilling" libel laws.

6024, also known as King Edward I, is a celebrity locomotive which has hauled many special trains on the main line.

The autumn 2007 issue of King's Messenger, the 6024 Society's journal, included all the features you would expect – an engineering report on "boiler water treatment and the water carrier", a rail tour review and an article on steam railways in Poland.
Unfortunately, there was also a report about a dispute between the society and its former chairman, Steve Underhill, who was forced out in October 2007 after other members alleged that he had been paid for work on the locomotive which he should have done for nothing.
Mr Underhill categorically denies the allegations and says the meeting at which he resigned was a kangaroo court where he was given no warning of the charges and no proper chance to defend himself.
He sued the journal's editor, Tim Watson, for libel under a "no-win, no-fee" agreement for its "devastating and very serious allegations against his honesty and integrity".
Lawyers for Mr Watson argued in court that the journal, with a circulation of just 400 copies, was covered by legal privilege because it is only read by members of the society. This argument was accepted by the court.
However, Mr Underhill's lawyers established that that issue of King's Messenger was also sent to 13 photographers – all non-members – whose work had appeared in its pages.
"It was completely farcical," said Mr Abbey. "The other side couldn't come up with any evidence that any of the 13 had actually read it. The vast majority, if not all of them, couldn't remember.
"They're photographers, all they wanted to see was whether their pictures were in.
'But that didn't seem to matter to the judge. You think - get a life. There are poor buggers being blown to pieces in Afghanistan, and we're talking about this.
"The crazy thing about the way the law is written is that the plaintiff has nothing to lose and you have everything to lose if you fight it. It was over three years of grief and hassle.
"I was cross-examined in the High Court and it's a pretty nerve-racking experience'.
Mr Watson, who stood to lose his home if the society had not backed him, said: "It should never have gone to the High Court. This could have ruined me and my family – it has dominated my life for three years.
"What the law does is make any claimant's position much stronger than any defendant's position. The sooner these politicians sort it out and make it equitable so people can defend themselves, the better."
At the hearing, Mr Watson and the society said they had honestly believed that what they had written was true at the time, but they agreed to drop their defences of justification and fair comment and pay damages and costs to Mr Underhill in what his counsel said was a "complete vindication" of him.
The damages of £7,500 awarded were dwarfed by the costs – of £335,000.

teddy

Dorsetmike

As usual, the lawyers rake in far more than is decent, I say those costs are obscene and bloated and totally unrealistic.

teddy

Duckmeister
Rhyl Miniature Railway

The railway first opened on 1st May 1911, and has been delighting visitors for over a hundred years!
It offers a nostalgia experience suitable for children of all ages. Most of the visitors begin by enjoying a train ride on what is now Britain’s oldest miniature line. The steam trains were built in Rhyl during the 1920s, and so have been hauling passengers around Marine Lake for the last eighty years!
Upon returning to ‘Central Station’, you can find out more about our the line in the museum, where there are hands on exhibits to amuse the younger ones.
The ticket office sells tea and coffee, confectionery and a good range of childrens’ gifts. The station, museum and toilets are open on every day that trains are operating.
This firteen inch line runs for one mile and boasts a variety of locomotives and some interesting rolling stock.

Michael and Railway Queen outside the main station.

44. Believed to date from 1910 this engine was shipped from Americs in circa 1999.

It is almost worth a visit to view the rolling stock which consists of two of these wonderful coaches and several open wagons.

The Rhyl Miniature Railway was the last to be built by Miniature Railways of Great Britain Ltd. The company had been founded in 1904, with W. J. Bassett-Lowke as Managing Director, and Henry Greenly as Engineer. Greenly designed its ‘Little Giant’ 4-4-2 locomotives, and the first railway opened at Blackpool in 1905. Following its success, further lines were opened at Sutton Coldfield (1908) and Halifax Zoo (1910), besides several temporary railways at exhibitions. Greenly first surveyed the Marine Lake at Rhyl in December 1910, and quickly pronounced it as ideal for a miniature railway. The lake itself is artificial, having been formed when land was recovered from the River Clwyd in 1895. The site quickly became well established for bathing and boating, and a big water chute had been built. Materials for this had been supplied by Mr Butler, owner of a Leeds steel company, and this began a long association between his family and enterprises in Rhyl. Once permission was granted in March 1911, work began immediately on installing the railway, and it opened on 1 May that year. During 1911 a successor company was formed, Narrow Gauge Railways Ltd, into whose name the line at Rhyl was transferred.
The route which Greenly laid out was almost one mile in length, right around the lake. That is still the railway today, although some alignments have changed. The circular track made operation easy, and the steepest gradient was only 1 in 220. Its station was built next to the site entrance in the north east corner, featuring an ornate wooden building to Greenly’s design. To operate the railway a standard ‘Little Giant’ locomotive was provided, named Prince Edward of Wales. Six four-wheeled coaches made up the train.

teddy

teddy

Duckmeister
Tanfield Railway

With an unparalleled history dating back to 1725, spectacular scenery and a truly unique atmosphere, it is no wonder that the Tanfield Railway, a standard gauge line is the North East's biggest and most popular steam railway.
Less than half an hour from Newcastle and within easy reach of Tyneside, Wearside and County Durham, steam trains run every Sunday and Bank Holiday on a picturesque six mile round trip from Sunniside in Gateshead to East Tanfield near Stanley.
Boasting forty six locos, mainly steam. The eldest is Wellinton built in 1873 by Walter Scott. An 0-4-0 side tank and currently laid up.
Partly due to the amount of stock, and partly because of my inabilty to download any photos I am including the web address.

tvfilm.jpg

www.tanfieldrailway.co.uk

teddy

Last edited:

JHC

This joker keksar is really trying with his spam "Hello! We are musical studio Y&A, buy our hottest track Epic Action.
By the way, check out the example of using it by Universal Pictures. Only 13$. Hurry up" they must be thick!

JHC

Duno teddy but he must have posted on every thread before it was deleted