Romeo and Juliet

janny108

I have an opera I'm watching of Romeo and Juliet and the music is from Gounod.
I thought Prokofiev wrote it?
Jan

Ouled Nails

Many composers wrote music to "Romeo and Juliet." You could also try Hector Berlioz's very romantic music. I bet if you searched music for Romeo and Juliet on the internet you'll find quite a few examples of ballet, orchestral or opera music.

some guy

Prokofiev's is a ballet. And a very fine ballet, too, I might add.

I second the recommendation of Berlioz' symphony. It's one of the finer pieces by one of the finer composers.

After the Tchaikovsky fantasy overture, I'm not sure any of the other Romeo and Juliet pieces are terribly noteworthy, though. Berlioz, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev. Any other R&J's worth listening too? (I've already crossed the Kabalevsky and the Delius off the list, by the way.:smirk:)

Ouled Nails

Wouldn't cross out any one of these, some guy. It's rather amazing how Shakespeare's work transcends all kind of identities. Ukranian composer Boris Lyatoshinsky (1895-1968) also wrote ballet music/suite for Romeo and Juliet. Rodion Shchedrin is another 20th century composer to have done the same. Kabalevsky can be quite surprising, in spite of the political dis-coloration he experienced with Zhdanov.