Saxophone masters of tone......

doctortornface

I love sax,and thats not a misprint....The main thing I love about it is the varying tones and moods it can create,my favourite player is not necessarily the most technical.

Earl Bostic....Deep Purple,Flamingo,fantastic and emotive music. Who else can compete?

Deeru Piotr

Paul Desmond: Suicide is painless and of course Take five
Johnny Hodges
Ben Webster listen to All the things you are in the Art Tatum Ben Webster masterpieces
John Coltrane the ballads album
(you can notice I'm kind of sentimental)

woody

Banned
Saxophone masters of tone...
its kenny g for sure.........
and yes i do agree that it creates different kinds of moods...

White Knight

Spectral Warrior con passion
For me it has to be--in no set order-- Paul Desmond, Wayne Shorter, Julian Adderly and John Coltrane

escher

stan getz, lee konitz, ben webster, but i like also the "fat" sound of saxophonists like ayler or gato barbieri

gord

the music on that last video is from the famous massey hall concert of 1953 in toronto. with bird, diz, bud, max and mingus. gord

OLDUDE

Thinking tenor, the greats for me have been Cole Hawkins, Lester Young, Ben Webster and above all Stan Getz.
However I must mention Jimmy Giuffre who plays any sax plus clarinet equally well

gord

tenors i like, dexter gordon, ike quebec,wardell gray and the great john coltrane. gord

stu

One favourite player from so many others is a very tough call. So many great tones which would swing you into bad health!! If by any chance I was hanging over a cliff caught only by my bootlaces, and, with the promise that I would be saved if I would name my favorite tenor sax tone...I would have to hesitate, frayed bootlaces or not....then, and only then, I would utter the name Lester Young! In the late thirties into the early fifties when he was in his prime, a light tone, plaintive, joyful, and story telling. With Basie/Smith Inc-Lady Be Good/Shoe Shine Boy- with his own small groups on Somebody Loves Me/D.B.Blues etc. I always liken him to the Ancient Mariner. When he starts telling his story you will never get away.

stu

In the previous post I mistakenly mentioned 'Somebody Loves Me' by Lester Young! Fool that I am, it should have been 'Sometimes I'm Happy!' A Pres classic which some others used. King Pleasure in his vocalese version, and, Norwegian vocalist Karin Krog with the Duo of tenorist Warne Marsh and bass player Red Mitchell, where they renamed it 'Lester's Happy' while recreating the Pres solo, and that famous 'tag' conclusion.

Contratrombone64

Admiral of Fugues
Ah the sound of the saxophone ... Claube Debussy, upon hearing a tenor saxophone for the fist time suggested that it "sounds like a lawnmower" ...

Mat

Sr. Regulator
Staff member
Sr. Regulator
Regulator
Ah the sound of the saxophone ... Claube Debussy, upon hearing a tenor saxophone for the fist time suggested that it "sounds like a lawnmower" ...

It never gets old, does it?

Last edited:

stu

I have only got a small lawn but have a few old lawn mowers in the shed. Alto, soprano, tenor and baritone. If I get them all tuned and orchestrated maybe Debussy would have approved and snapped his fingers on two and four!

gord

i love the tenor sax, coltrane,dexter, and hawk.i am also very partial to the baritone sax,mulligan,pepper adams and brignola. gord

gord

some sax players have beautiful sounds. lester young, stan getz and johnny hodges have light tones and they are just great, but i prefer to listen to the harder sound of jazzmen like dexter gordon,john coltrane and pepper adams. gord