Security suites

JHC

Chief assistant to the assistant chief
I have been using McAfee for years and am now thinking of giving one of those free ones a try, I am thinking of ‘AVG Free’ any suggestions?

Dorsetmike

I've been using AVG free for at least 10 years, no problems, they keep trying to con me into the full paid up version, but I'm still using the free one.

teddy

Duckmeister
Yes it does. Or you can use the free Microsoft antivirus which I found very good.

teddy

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Ditched McAfee years ago.

I have NAV (Norton) and it has worked quite well for me over the years. My ISP offers it as part of my DSL connection.

Albert

I use Panda. I find it one of the least intrusive anti virus programs. I also use Malwarebytes to protect against malware.

JHC

Well Well, Can't install AVG, 3 attempts and get nearly to the end then kaput "try again" I suspect it could be that I still have McAfee running???

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
It could be just that, Colin. McAfee may have some internal setting that prevents another AV application from installing. Might have to disable it.

JHC

All fixed, uninstalled McAfee and now free version of avg up and going if proves ok may give pro version a try.
Used the McAfee complete removal tool but on checking program files found they were still there but have manually removed them it could be that the PC came with McAfee installed.

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
. . . Used the McAfee complete removal tool but on checking program files found they were still there but have manually removed them it could be that the PC came with McAfee installed.

Same here - my Win7 machine arrive with McAfee installed. One of the first things I did was remove it; that and IE.

Dorsetmike

I tried to uninstall IE on an XP PC but found that much of control panel stopped working, not tried since, I just make sure it's not the default browser.

JHC

I tried to uninstall IE on an XP PC but found that much of control panel stopped working, not tried since, I just make sure it's not the default browser.

Mike I seem to have seen somewhere that you can install Windows 7 on a XP computer free of charge do you know much about this?

Dorsetmike

Not heard that one Colin, Win 7 discs are now quite cheap on Amazon, since Win 10 issue the price for 7 has gone way down. I paid about £45 a year ago, they are now from about £25 upwards

Krummhorn

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Microsoft claims it can be done as per this article.

Just know that Win7 is likely to hog more memory sources than XP so you might want to be sure you have enough RAM to satisfy its needs.